Educate me about this manifold bolt….

-

57dodged100

Reaction score
I was scrubbing my intake manifold with a wire brush in preparation for some engine paint. I noticed the bolt below was loose and then discovered it was rusted completely off.

Can someone please educate me about the function of this bolt - does it hold the intake and exhaust manifolds together? Is it threaded into the exhaust manifold or go through? What repair is recommended?

Car is '72 Ply Scamp, obviously 225 /6. Engine is all original with 39k miles. Engine runs fine now.

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

photo.JPG

yes it one of three bolts that holds the manifolds together. If its not leaking dont mess with it. If it starts leaking you'll need to have the rest of the bolt machined out of the exh manifold or a replacment manifold.

and dont forget to use anti-seize compound on ALL exhaust bolts. to mount the the intake manifold and ext takes a special prosses. if done wrong trouble comes to you. my buddys here know how to do it. iam sure they will help.

Thanks guys. I don't think it is leaking so I'll just leave it for now. Thanks for the help.

By the way 57, A photo of the Bee decal on my Dart ,, Thanks !!

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2056.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 169
Common problem. Once bolted to the head, as yours is, you probably don't need that bolt tight. There is a great writeup on slantsix.org about installing the manifolds. If you don't orient the washers right, the exhaust manifold can crack. Save it for the future.

I wouldn't mess with it if it isn't leaking exhaust or anything else. It's a real PITA to take it apart, drill out the old bolt then get it all back together with no leaks.

-
Back