Educate me on early A vs 67-76A

-

scamp80602

Life Long MOPAR Man
Reaction score
I'm looking at 2 Darts as projects - both 2dr post - one's a 65 the other a 66. The 65 is a 273 auto, the 66 a roller. What are some of the differences between early A and 67-76 A?? I have a 75 Scamp.

1) Does the early A have the same K member for both /6 and V8?
2) How about spring mounts and springs in general - can early and late A interchange?
3) The 65 would have the older 727 and cables - how difficult is it to put in a newer style 727? Is the support bracket different?
4) I see that there are big block early A's - how about headers and engine mounts for this application?
5) How difficult is a 360/newer 727 swap in an early A - what are some of the major issues??
6) Front disk swap - what are the major issues?

Thanks!

1] Same K member on 6 and 8

2] Rear springs are the same

3] No 727 they only came with 904 and yes the crossmember is the same for cable and linkage

4] Not sure if anyone make big block mounts or headers for the early a

5] 360 will take engine mount side of motor mount reworked if you have the skills or buy a kit from Shumaker. To put a 727 in you have to fold or modify the lip where the floor meets the firewall.

6] For my disc I got a set from a 67 to 72 Dart to keep the small bolt pattern.

Chryslerfat is a faster typer.....

I had all the same answers except I wasn't aware of the mods to the d/s mount on the 360...and I didn't know about the springs.

I have 75 disc brakes on my 1964 Dart so you can go to the 4.5 bolt circle pattern. I think the biggest issue with the early A's are the headers. Your options are fenderwells or TTI which I hear still have problems, spitfire if you can get them. Or you can spent 1200. and have a set custom made. If you convert the car to coilovers up front headers are easier to make work but these conversions for rack and pinion and coilovers are not cheap. Jayson

Mechanicly the only major difference between the 2 is the transmission. The 66 used a slip yoke on the tranny.

Springs and torsion bars interchange on all A-bodies.

-
Back