Educate me on rim blow steering wheels

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
I have seen a few rim blow steering wheels on Darts. I really like the way they look. There seems to be a company that sells reproductions ones on ebay from time to time but only the steering wheel. What else would be needed just a cap and adapter? Did they ever come factory on Darts? Does the E body adapter work on A bodies or does some one make reproduction cap and adapters?

I'm liking them and may be in the market for a decent looking driver rim blow steering wheel PM if you have a complete one for sell.

They were factory available in Darts in 71 for sure. Have one in a /6 parts dart. Am not sure about the e-body can.

Grant

They were most popular in the more 'sophisticated' C-bodies, but still pretty uncommon.

which rim blow? the wood grain one or that other ugly one?

the wooden onw came on a lot of 71 darts. have had three of those cars with the rim blow wheels. the wheel is worth good money to those e-body guys.. :)

E body can works but is WAY loo long.

They are relatively cheap, though ($20 for E body vs $75 for A/B).

I have a small stash I intend to section with a bandsaw and MIG.

He guys. On a related note.. How do you remove the center cap on a rim blow? I don't want to scratch the spokes, so any advice would help. I know the bolts are fake, so do I pry it off?

The center cap is just pushed into the center of the wheel. I would use a plastic pry tool and work it around the wheel and it should pop right off.

I bought one of those new rimblows off of e-bay. I guess they are ok for the price. Real ones are big dollars.

I had to glue it together in a spot where it didn't stay together when i got it.

A lot of '71 Darts had them. They weren't available in '72, so the theory goes that they just put them on just about everything in '71 to use up the remaining stock. My butterscotch GT has one, and I suspect my other GT had one as well given that the steering wheel had been stripped from it when I bought it.

The originals go for a pretty penny, and restoring one is WAY pricey. After all of that, they rarely work as intended, the rim blow switch is very finicky.

-
Back