Effn "hardware stores"

-
Alot of the traditional "parts houses" are being phased out ny Advance auto and Auto zone.

Around this town there's no such thing as "traditional" any more. My Dad spent a great part of his life selling parts, first for a NAPA in our home town, and later his own store. I sold parts for about 15 years, here in town we had a HUGE store not only auto/ light truck parts but sold and repaired welders and oxy/ acet equipment, changed / pressed bearings, and turned drums and rotors by the thousands. Made hydraulic hoses, sold popular heavy truck parts and brakes (logging then) and sold a line of commercial industrial janitorial supplies. It was a BIG store, and is LONG GONE.

You wanted a piece of gasket material? We'd cut it. A short length of hose? yep. A LONG length? "How long?" Wire rope, chain, rigging supplies and logging chokers. Taps dies, drills, and the town's first "Fasteners" store.

I too have a Ace 10 blocks up the street. I park right outside the door and they have what I need. If you don't give them buisness they will close and that will be sad. I bought gas grill there and the owner delivered it to my house while the wife and I were grocery shopping. You don't get that kind of service from Lowes. His price was within a few bucks of the hig box store too.
It was a sad day a few months ago when our local True Value store closed after the owner died...almost 40 years of serving the community. Even had number and letter drills in stock plus a huge selection of hardware.

More than once...
I've gone to Home Depot for something they don't sell, stopped at the local junk / hardware store ( Daniels Discount ) on the way home and they did have it.
Their employees are more knowledgeable too.
Now I go there FIRST........

Our Ace Hardware is a joke and an insult. I got "stuck" today needed 4 flathead 1/4X2" course thread. MORE THAN TWO DOLLARS for 4 of em

Plus I had to find them myself because the "people" working there wouldn't know a flathead from a binder head from a torx head

When I want to eff with 'em I ask 'em if they have any "clutch head" bolts" Another one is "Bristol Spline"

Bristol_drive_bit3ca9b0342989409f95313e01270c69af.png

-
Back