Efi magnum swap

-

cooooledart

Reaction score
How difficuly would all the wiring be to swap a 5.9 magnum into my slant 6 dart? What would I have to change?

If you want to go efi there is a bit of work to be done and decisions to be made. I am contemplating the same swap. Read through all the posts pertaining to this in the"magnum" section and most of your questions will be answered.

I had to splice in 4 wires, and am using 99+% of the /6 harnesses. I also had to hook a power wire to the pusher fuel pump out back. Everything was plug & play, because I bought the "Hot Rod" 5.9 Magnum wiring harness from Hotwire Auto. It passes through the bulkhead just below the heater hoses, and there are 3 additional wires that pass through a factory grommet down.

It's super clean and works great. Cost around $800 though, but worth every penny to me. I also use a reflashed 1998 Ram 1500, 5-speed ECU, as I installed a 727 trans. Later, I installed a Magnum-based 408 stroker with 4 speed automatic with lock-up torque converter, and that required adding 1 wire hookup to activate the lock-up feature. It feels like a 5 speed automatic.

Attachments

• B4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 503
How difficuly would all the wiring be to swap a 5.9 magnum into my slant 6 dart? What would I have to change?

Myself and Hotwire make the plug n play harness that you need. It can get a little overwhelming at time for people who are 100% comfortable with wiring and diagrams. I have to redo more people attempted harness' than anything. If you have a few Dodge wiring diagrams for your engine. The correct donor harness , the tools and the time. You can do it yourself.

You just have to weigh time and effort over cost.

Myself and Hotwire make the plug n play harness that you need. It can get a little overwhelming at time for people who are 100% comfortable with wiring and diagrams. I have to redo more people attempted harness' than anything. If you have a few Dodge wiring diagrams for your engine. The correct donor harness , the tools and the time. You can do it yourself.

+1
It took me almost 3 months to get all of the wiring situated and I am comfortable with diagrams. A lot of that time was spent researching and going over the diagrams 100 times to make sure I wasn't screwing up. I still haven't gotten around to extending the wires for the OBDII port yet and it's been almost a year since the swap.
Buy the harness if you can't wire...buy the harness if you can wire....maybe buy the harness if you SURE you can do it :lol: There were times i wish i had.

When we sell a harness, it comes with full tech support for the entire swap not just wiring. That can be worth a lot if you have a problem like a bad sensor or something else that keeps it from running. I have talked hundreds of customers through situations resulting from bad PCM's, sensors, no buss communications etc. Most of these were on our TJ swaps but have had lots of customers very happy I could solve their problem in a matter of 20-30 minutes on the phone. I have been building these harnesses since 1998 when we did the first TJ Magnum swap. Built our first A body Magnum swap when my kid was 16 and he is 26 now so I think we were probably the first to do a Magnum EFI swap w overdrive auto trans too. At the time there were no pump in tank set ups either, the tank took 2 days to build and was a huge pita. We did a 475 HP 5.9L 68 Barracuda 2 years later and that tank really sucked ! Now its as easy as a phone call....advancements in auto tech are priceless.

Is your harness OBDI or OBDII. The reason I ask is that I've read there is virtually unlimited PCM tuning support for OBDII and virtually none for the OBDI.

We build both, depending on customers needs. I would guess 6-8 OBD II for every OBD I. We have two company's that flash for us . I believe one of them works with OBD I. If you plan on using larger heads and cam, I would stick with OBD II . There are a few more things for OBD II but not tons. You can get a bunch of HP out of both.

We build both, depending on customers needs. I would guess 6-8 OBD II for every OBD I. We have two company's that flash for us . I believe one of them works with OBD I. If you plan on using larger heads and cam, I would stick with OBD II . There are a few more things for OBD II but not tons. You can get a bunch of HP out of both.

I wish I would have known about you guys a few years back. What do you guys charge for your OBDII harnesses?

-
Back