Efi manifolds?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
I am eventually going to run my car on megasquirt and then eventually adding a turbo. I am wondering what options there are for port injection intake manifolds? cheap or expensive, but I'm mostly interested in cheap possible JY or swap meet finds.

I saw a magnum intake that was efi but it's throttle body hole looked small. also i guess you would need to run magnum heads as well.

Look around. You can get an M1 as a 4bbl unit with the injector ports already drilled. Here is a pic of the one I bought brand new for $218 shipped. It is of course for the Magnum heads. They are out there and I have the Mopar 4bbl to 2bbl throttle body adapter.

Attachments

• IMG_1502.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 152
I think Edelbrock makes an EFI manifold for small blocks. That or you could use a fast EFI or have the manifold you want drill and tapped for the required fittings.

Oh and the 2bbl throttle body can be made to flow over 1000cfm and alot of guys are running them on their turbo Daks. The opening is planty big. There are 2 2bbl Mopar intakes on Ebay right now. 1 is $500 and the other is $600, I didn't look at them well so I am not sure of the difference in them. ALso Hughes has an Airgap version made for them by Edelbrock for around $500 as well.

EDIT: $500 for no egr, $600 with egr.

My hope is to use the standard Magnum "barrel keg" intake on my 273. I bought an intake w/ everything for $60 and test-fit it. Search for my post w/ photos (~1 yr ago). I will need mod's (bent studs & scalloped holes) to fit my heads, but I have the "16 deg off vertical" 65 heads so easier. I recently bought a Holley Commander 950 ECU ($120, no harness). I looked at Megasquirt but $$$ and more complicated. Won't be doing this soon. Don't blame me if you try first and doesn't work. One guy's comment "why not just install a Magnum engine" was humorous. Is that simpler than an intake swap?

Thanks for the advice. so the barrel keg style manifold can flow decent? I'm probably going to be only pushing 400 maybe 500 hp. If i could go the barrel keg route it would fit with my "on the cheap" theme.

As for megasquirt, i just assembled a unit for my toyota and got it running decent pretty quickly. So I'm thinking the second time around will be easier.

Anyway keep the suggestions coming. This build could go either way head wise, it all depends on what deals i find down the road.

There is no cheap way to modify an intake manifold i assume? I do have a drill press.

Don't use the factory kegger if you plan to go anything over 10 psi. The plenum gasket will blow. Unless you fashion an aluminum plate and have it welded on there instead of bolt on steel. Also if you want it to support 400+ hp then it is gonna need some major modification to the runners inside. That can be done before the plenum is closed for good. Look online for what is commonly refered to as a "kegger mod" you cut the inside runners shorter and it improves flow by alot. Any of the truck forums will have how-to's on them. Check them out. You can also find those MPI intakes for under $300 used all the time. Get on those truck forums and check their for sale ads. Hope this helps.

Also if this is gonna be a project for next year wait until around Christmas. Check Craigslist and Ebay, people always need extra cash then and sell cheap. That's how I got alot of my more expensive items. I have spent $2200 on my truck since November. But the actual lowest price/retail of said parts is over $4400. Deals are out there.

Don't use the factory kegger if you plan to go anything over 10 psi. The plenum gasket will blow.
Actually, the factory steel plate tends to blow even without supercharging. That is a big problem for RAM owners since a blown gasket gives an intake leak (lean) plus sucks oil into the intake.

If you consider the barrel keg route, seach ebay for 1999blkdakrt. He sells a thick aluminum plate ($55) to fix the problem. Even better is a plate with triangle to better direct the flow ($105). It would be very stiff. He also had links to machining to cut back the runners for more top end power. I don't find the triangle plate currently, but if enough demand he might make more. I think others sell an aluminum plate.

Attachments

• Magnum intake plate $55.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 132
  • Magnum intake plate w triangle $105.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 126
Actually, the factory steel plate tends to blow even without supercharging. That is a big problem for RAM owners since a blown gasket gives an intake leak (lean) plus sucks oil into the intake.

If you consider the barrel keg route, seach ebay for 1999blkdakrt. He sells a thick aluminum plate ($55) to fix the problem. Even better is a plate with triangle to better direct the flow ($105). It would be very stiff. He also had links to machining to cut back the runners for more top end power. I don't find the triangle plate currently, but if enough demand he might make more. I think others sell an aluminum plate.

Good call. Excellent information.

Dan, if you aren't in too big of a hurry I will be coming back to the states in May and will be removing my kegger if you are interested.

I am in no hurry at all. I just don't know if I am going with 360 heads or magnum heads. I will keep you in mind though.

I was thinking of using a 318 and putting the 360 heads on and boosting it as much as i could on high test pump gas.

magnums would raise compression though, making things more difficult. But you never know if i got a good deal i might go that way. No money right now to even look though.

You could always go with the Iron Ram magnum heads. Eliminate the eventual cracks and a pretty decent flowing head. One that could be worked later to flow better when you put more boost to it

-
Back