EFI return line

-

dgibby

Reaction score
Looking for ideas for the return line for my sniper efi system. Was going to put a bulkhead fitting in the sender unit but seems like there is not enough room for one to fit. Thinking of drilling the tank next to the sending unit and putting a bulkhead there or buying a sender with a return but the return line is only 1/4 inch and it needs a 3/8 line. Maybe drill out the 1/4 line and solder in a 3/8 line? Thanks for the ideas.

Looking for ideas for the return line for my sniper efi system. Was going to put a bulkhead fitting in the sender unit but seems like there is not enough room for one to fit. Thinking of drilling the tank next to the sending unit and putting a bulkhead there or buying a sender with a return but the return line is only 1/4 inch and it needs a 3/8 line. Maybe drill out the 1/4 line and solder in a 3/8 line? Thanks for the ideas.

I bought a 1/2 inch feed 1/4 inch return line sending unit, used a step drill to enlarge the 1/4" hole up to the 1/2" size and silver soldered a short piece of 1/2" metal line into the sending unit. The step drill left a small ridge on the opposite side of the hole, which aided in stabilizing the tube I installed. It works great, and you can do the same thing with 3/8" sending units.

I bought a 1/2 inch feed 1/4 inch return line sending unit, used a step drill to enlarge the 1/4" hole up to the 1/2" size and silver soldered a short piece of 1/2" metal line into the sending unit. The step drill left a small ridge on the opposite side of the hole, which aided in stabilizing the tube I installed. It works great, and you can do the same thing with 3/8" sending units.
I was thinking about doing the same but wasn't sure on how well the old tube and weld around it would drill. Any tips on the soldering? No issues with the sender connection overheating /melting?

I was thinking about doing the same but wasn't sure on how well the old tube and weld around it would drill. Any tips on the soldering? No issues with the sender connection overheating /melting?

I drilled the sender and used a threaded tube with a nut and gasket on each side for the return on a 3/8 pickup tube sender that didn't have a return provision.
Table lamp parts actually, and it's been that way for thousands of trouble free miles.

Let the harassment begin.:D

Dremel it out instead of trying to drill it.

I drilled the sender and used a threaded tube with a nut and gasket on each side for the return on a 3/8 pickup tube sender that didn't have a return provision.
Table lamp parts actually, and it's been that way for thousands of trouble free miles.

Let the harassment begin.:D
Did your sender already have the return? Looking at my sender with no return I can't see enough room for a tube with nuts. It's the original unit, maybe new ones have more room?

Did your sender already have the return? Looking at my sender with no return I can't see enough room for a tube with nuts. It's the original unit, maybe new ones have more room?

It was tight but it fit.
I put it right about where the red dot is.

sender.jpg

Already have my pump kit so just figuring out the return.
I'll order up a new sender and see what I have to work with.

doesn't the top of the tank have more than 1 vent tube you can use one of them also

I heated up the silver solder that was holding the 1/4" return in place, removed the 1/4" tube and then drilled it. I used a small pair of vice grips and some aluminum foil to heat soak and shield the plastic parts on the sending unit.

Finding real silver solder was the hard part though. The stuff they try to pass for it in hardware stores sucks and is not real silver solder. I ended up having to go to a welding supply store to get the old school stuff.

-
Back