EGR holes on 318 heads

-

'teen machine

Reaction score
Hello, I have my heads off right now and was wondering if I could grind off the egr bumps in the exhaust ports for more flow??? They're plugged now anyway

The bumps on the floor result in a near zero gain. It's not until you reshape the entire exhaust port that removing the the floor bump comes into play.

No. Though I like the idea of gasket matching 3 sides of the port to the gasket for high performance useage. I was meaning expanding the exhaust port beyond the gasket size for a full race porting. Closer to all out (race) for that head. (A 318 head)

This is a point where a 360 head should be considerd depending on useage.

The bulk of the high velocity gasses travel along the roof of the port, so flow gains will mostly result from improving this area. The AIR (not EGR) ports were placed in an area of the port where there is little gas movement, making it easier to inject air under low pressure. When porting the heads, any bumps around the port should be blended flush, but beyond that don't sweat it too much. Focus on the massive step in the port roof, and the guide boss which are a far bigger impediment to flow.

I have a factory roller 5.2 from an 85 New Yorker that I may turbo...

Then when it comes time to porting the head and all that attention it should receive, I would talk to a pro porter for advice and tech.

-
Back