Electric cutouts

-

meathead66

Mod Top
Reaction score
Looking for some honest opinions on brand, quality and experiences. Any brand better than another? What’s your thinking of having the cutouts exiting, when in open setting, in front of rear tire similar to the T/A and when closed exiting through the mufflers out the back? Any reasons this won’t work or not feasible?

Looking for some honest opinions on brand, quality and experiences. Any brand better than another? What’s your thinking of having the cutouts exiting, when in open setting, in front of rear tire similar to the T/A and when closed exiting through the mufflers out the back? Any reasons this won’t work or not feasible?
I know this has been covered quite a few times I'm sure you should be able to find a thread with people discussing cutouts. And yes you can do anything..

These are not electric but I thought I'd share them anyway.
These are pictures from several years ago of the vacuum operated (before completely finished) set I built for my father in law's old 32. Still working today and they are mounted about 12" away from his exhaust manifold's outlets.

IMG_1988.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

Last edited:
The body is 6061 aluminum that is water jet cut. We milled the critical sealing surface. The shaft is 316 st. st. The valve is also is 304 st. st. that we water jet cut. The frame is 304 st. st, also water jet cut and then bent to hold the vacuum actuator. I have several of these from my VOE-GTO muffler experimentation project. I hid a vacuum canister under his body on the frame rail and it has a pneumatic switch mounted to the steering column that opens and closes these. I used the small ball reservoir and this kind of switch (in photo).ATTACH=full]1715237749[/ATTACH]

Joe Display Top.JPG

The body is 6061 aluminum that is water jet cut. We milled the critical sealing surface. The shaft is 316 st. st. The valve is also is 304 st. st. that we water jet cut. The frame is 304 st. st, also water jet cut and then bent to hold the vacuum actuator. I have several of these from my VOE-GTO muffler experimentation project. I hid a vacuum canister under his body on the frame rail and it has a pneumatic switch mounted to the steering column that opens and closes these. I used the small ball reservoir and this kind of switch (in photo).ATTACH=full]1715237749[/ATTACH]

View attachment 1715237749
How fast can that system open/ close? and can it be triggered with manifold vacuum such that they open in sync with say...... the secondaries when I mash it?

3” Summit brand. They work. Leak a little when running, but I can’t audibly tell at all.

I installed some QTP cutouts, they weren’t cheap, but they work great. I will say, that after a season with them, the novelty has worn off and I kind of wish I didn’t install them.

I installed some QTP cutouts, they weren’t cheap, but they work great. I will say, that after a season with them, the novelty has worn off and I kind of wish I didn’t install them.

Anyone remeber gas cap dumps ??

The only cut-outs that would interest me,a streeter,would be a type that opens instantly when I open the secondaries, and slam shut almost instantly when they close. Then I could T a pair of lightweight dual-wall laker skinny-pipes out to the rear wheels with turn-outs. This would let me leave the 70 plus pounds of TTI/Dynomax exhaust, in the shed.I like the looks of side-pipes on 2nd gen Barracudas, but they are heavy and the small diameter pipes IMO are not up to 400 plus hp.
I'd like those cutouts to snap open in loc-step with backpressure or throttle-opening, and maybe adjustable/tuneable from the cab, and with a secret disable switch, for when the cop demands me to floor it in neutral.........
I got no love for electric cutouts that take a half a minute to open, and another half a minute to close. For me the mood has long ago passed.
Hey I just had an idea..........

I got no love for electric cutouts that take a half a minute to open, and another half a minute to close. For me the mood has long ago passed.

Mine take 2 seconds to fully open/close. Not an exaggeration. I don’t know any cutouts that take 30 seconds to open/close.....

Last edited:
AJ, they take about two seconds or so but my VOE mufflers are "fail-safe in the closed mode". So, they are constantly closed and they are opened with vacuum. They would have to be built differently. Could be done but would be sort of high dollar.
Tom

QTP’s may take 6-8 seconds from full open to full close and vice versa. Torqy and close tight every time. You can make a little noise, more noise, or set car alarms off. My favorite push and hold toggle. Put it somewhere easy to reach. Perfect for the car show grand entry.

-
Back