Electric fan cut in/cut out temp

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Hi. I have just converted my '66 slant six mechanical fan to electric fan. Rite now im using a 185F/205F thermo switch for the fan i.e. The fan switch on at 205 deg and switch off at 185 deg. With this setup, the OEM temp gauge shows about 2/3 when the fan cuts in and about 1/2 when the fan cuts out. I dont know how accurate the temp gauge is, but I think I can trust the thermo switch. is it OK to run our slant six at 200F? Or would you suggest i use a 165/185F thermo switch instead? Thanks. Syed

200 is nothing.
I do however think you should kick up the range a bit though since 180 pretty low that fan may be on quite a bit more than it needs to.
I have mine set at 210 on, and off at 190.

Just a personal pref I guess.

200 is nothing.
I do however think you should kick up the range a bit though since 180 pretty low that fan may be on quite a bit more than it needs to.
I have mine set at 210 on, and off at 190.

Just a personal pref I guess.

2x...

where do you have your sensor located? in the head where the stock sensor goes or in the block?

2x...

where do you have your sensor located? in the head where the stock sensor goes or in the block?

I did not use the immerse-type thermostat so I cant use the factory sensor location. I fabricated an aluminum plate about 1.5" by 1.5" and drill a hole, mount the "dry" thermostat to the plate and screw the plate to the front of the cylinder head where the fuel pipe is secured to the cylinder head. i.e. the alum plate is directly in contact with the front of the cyl head.

BTW I have a female "socket" at the top RH corner of the radiator. What is that sensor for? As far as I know, the '66 Slant six did not come with the electric fan.

What about the smaller sensor beside the thermostat housing? Is that the sensor for the Temp Gauge in the dash?

Syed

I did not use the immerse-type thermostat so I cant use the factory sensor location. I fabricated an aluminum plate about 1.5" by 1.5" and drill a hole, mount the "dry" thermostat to the plate and screw the plate to the front of the cylinder head where the fuel pipe is secured to the cylinder head. i.e. the alum plate is directly in contact with the front of the cyl head.

BTW I have a female "socket" at the top RH corner of the radiator. What is that sensor for? As far as I know, the '66 Slant six did not come with the electric fan.

What about the smaller sensor beside the thermostat housing? Is that the sensor for the Temp Gauge in the dash?

Syed

my 73 had a pipe thread in the upper RH side... it was for a heat actuated vacuum switch...

my 73 had a pipe thread in the upper RH side... it was for a heat actuated vacuum switch...

Here is the picture of the said socket (arrow)

DodgeRadiator.jpg

I have a similar hex plug in several of my radiators (3/8" NPT pipe thread, I recall). All radiators are not original for my 64 & 65 cars. I think they are there for a temperature switch, but not sure which factory Dart's might have used that. I put a 190/210 F switch in my Valiant's radiator to turn on an electric pusher fan (from Mercedes 300D), via a relay. Since your switch is in the air flow, rather than the water, the 185/205 F switch you have may work better. The best way to tell might be to get a radiator cap with temperature gage in it. I have seen them on e-bay ~$15.

-
Back