Electric fan

-
Reaction score
I have a 74 Dodge dart sport I'm looking to put an electric fan and then they must have shortened the nose or wheel base or something for the 74 model year I only have like 2 and 5/8 in between the front of the water pump and my radiator mounting surface for the fan shroud it's a kks performance or some cheap knockoff aluminum radiator is there some dual fan electric and shroud assembly out there someplace I've been able to come up with nothing thanks in advance

I have a 74 Dodge dart sport I'm looking to put an electric fan and then they must have shortened the nose or wheel base or something for the 74 model year I only have like 2 and 5/8 in between the front of the water pump and my radiator mounting surface for the fan shroud it's a kks performance or some cheap knockoff aluminum radiator is there some dual fan electric and shroud assembly out there someplace I've been able to come up with nothing thanks in advance
Wheelbase remained the same 108" for the Dodge Demon/Dart Sport and Plymouth Duster from their inception in 1970 until their last hurrah in 1976. The Dart Sport even got an extended "beaker" nose in it's last few years, so it ain't that. Dimensionally, the engine bays remained unchanged from '67-'76, which begs the question: Just how thick is this "cheap knockoff aluminum radiator"? I've got more than 5" between the radiator and the nose of the water pump on my all-original '75, and the radiator is ~2" thick. Something's not adding up, unless you've got a 4 1/2" thick radiator in there.

I have the cold-case m750 aluminum radiator with dual fan and shroud bought as a kit from them for my 74 dart sport 360 4 speed manual transmission and there is plenty of room works very well there kits come with all relays and breakers

What are the dimensions of your current radiator? Is it a 22” or 26”? And how many rows does it have (how thick is it)?

There are OE electric fans that will fit both the 22” and 26” radiators that work great, but you’ll also need a decent size alternator to run them as well as relays and ideally a fan controller.

Electric or mechanical, we’ll need to know more about your current radiator to make relevant recommendations.

@RustyRatRod we're going to need your crystal ball for this one either that or a picture....
Your wish is my command.
CRYSTAL BALL.jpg

3 core 2 Inches on the core 2 7/8 on the tanks . It's 22 by 22 3/4

View attachment 1716089529

Ouch! Something isn't right.

I run a 26" radiator that's also a 3 core, and I have almost a full inch more space between the snout of the water pump and the back of the radiator core. I use a Ford Contour dual fan set up on my car, but even that wouldn't fit into the space you've got. I have a list of a few OE modern electric fans that work for a 22" radiator, but I don't think any of them are that thin.

This is on my car, which is a '74 Duster with a '68 340 in it.

img_5433-jpg.1715208330

Do the mounting brackets for the radiator set the cores back from the core support a bunch? The tanks on my radiator are 2.75" wide, and the core itself is about 2.25". But the back side of the core is only about 2.5" in from where it mounts on the core support.

Nice shot of your measurement maybe a shot just standing back and giving us an overall look of how that radiator is mounted from the inside and maybe we can kind of see the big picture...

Thanks for being decent man . I bought this car half finished put my motor and trans in it switched to an a833 8 and 8 3/4 . I believe the fell I got this thing from said that radiator was for a 70-72 and all I can figure is they move the radiator support rearward because of the stupid impact safety crap that came around in the early seventies no where can I find a 74 model year radiator even posted in the aftermarket online I got this rad with the car like I say

3 core 2 Inches on the core 2 7/8 on the tanks . It's 22 by 22 3/4

View attachment 1716089529
That's the curse of the aftermarket aluminum radiator. A lot of the cheaper ones have the brackets welded on with the radiator too far back into the engine bay. If you look at the space between the radiator and radiator support, that will give you a clue. Get a picture from the front where the brackets are welded to the side of the radiator and we can tell you.

FWIW, I tried the electric fan route several years ago. I bought a Griffin Radiator with their electric fan setup. It just did not cool things off well. So I bought a stock shroud and went to a pulley driven fan blade. It works better than the electric setup. Now I am NOT saying that electric fan setups don't work, I am just saying that the setup I had was not working for me.

OK, this may be out in left field, but is it possible that some incorrect motor mounts could move the engine forward a bit. I have never had it happen, but I can see where a China made motor mount could fit OK but have a bit of an offset.

OK, this may be out in left field, but is it possible that some incorrect motor mounts could move the engine forward a bit. I have never had it happen, but I can see where a China made motor mount could fit OK but have a bit of an offset.the trans is perfect crossmember you know

Inch and a quarter
That looks impossible. Now I mean the part of the radiator support the tank would contact FIRST. See how the support kicks back a few inches down from the top? How bout there?

That's the curse of the aftermarket aluminum radiator. A lot of the cheaper ones have the brackets welded on with the radiator too far back into the engine bay. If you look at the space between the radiator and radiator support, that will give you a clue. Get a picture from the front where the brackets are welded to the side of the radiator and we can tell you.
Yep that's fucked

16840383798437861796401572624761.jpg

There's an inch up front and it looks like it's about an inch too thick. People like to think that a radiator with a lot of coordinate is helpful but sometimes I just blocks the air... I like two core radiators with fat cores... I've used to smaller offset fans so the motor isn't centered right where the water pump is. Also you can buy thin fans. Just look on summit and make your criteria like two and a half inches...

If you know an old time radiator shop, then can remove and manipulate the brackets in such a way as to move that radiator as far forward as possible. They could even raise the core up a tad, so that the top tank joint would be above that kicked back part of the support. That would allow you to move the radiator even further forward. Since you obviously cannot drive it to a shop, you're going to have to take very accurate measurements so they can get it right. It's damn near gonna be easier to just buy another radiator if you can swing it. ....and I fully agree that a two row with either 1" or 1.25" rows will not only probably cool better, but certainly fit better. Problem is, you're going to need to see HOW the brackets are welded on before you buy. It's a conundrum for sure.

-
Back