Electric Fuel Pump Relays?

-

coalman

Reaction score
What is the minimum gauge wire that should be used in these? Thanks

To the pump itself or the switching part of the relay. The pump should be the same gauge that is on the pump through a fused circuit and the relay can be 18GA for the switching side very little load on them.

12V_cable_maximum_amps.png

To the pump itself or the switching part of the relay. The pump should be the same gauge that is on the pump through a fused circuit and the relay can be 18GA for the switching side very little load on them.

Thanks for your reply. The wires I have are all 16 gauge, which I thought were on the light side, except for the switching. the pump I have requires a 10 amp breaker, I thought 12 gauge for this. Thanks

You need to know the max amperage the pump draws under full load, and the length of the wire.

You want to make sure you find a chart for amperage that is automotive based, and not AC service. I would use "plenty." And go by the FOOTAGE. A 5 ft wire and a 15-20 ft run are different cats. Just like in class weights, go by the "top" or "bottom" of the "class." If you have a 20 ft run and the chart says 14, and the amperage is in the middle / top end of that box, go up one to no 12

Make sure the chart you find is for "one way" and not the return path IE "in a boat."

Wire Size Calculator

Automotive Electrical Wire - Wiring Products

Automotive Wire Gauge Guide

https://www.viaircorp.com/v/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/VIAIR_wiregauge_chart.pdf

You need to know the max amperage the pump draws under full load, and the length of the wire.

You want to make sure you find a chart for amperage that is automotive based, and not AC service. I would use "plenty." And go by the FOOTAGE. A 5 ft wire and a 15-20 ft run are different cats. Just like in class weights, go by the "top" or "bottom" of the "class." If you have a 20 ft run and the chart says 14, and the amperage is in the middle / top end of that box, go up one to no 12

Make sure the chart you find is for "one way" and not the return path IE "in a boat."

Wire Size Calculator

Automotive Electrical Wire - Wiring Products

Automotive Wire Gauge Guide

https://www.viaircorp.com/v/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/VIAIR_wiregauge_chart.pdf

Thanks for all the info.

-
Back