Electric fuel system

-
Update. I installed the correct pushrod for the fuel pump. It is able to maintain 6 PSI at the carb even with the electric pump in line and turned off. The real test will be this summer. If it goes well this summer I'll remove the electric pump entirely. I think I may also run a return line since that got some positive comments to help with vapor locking. Appreciate everyone's help.
Thanks for the update, as it helps others when going through similar issues.

A quick update. I pulled the mechanical fuel pump yesterday and the push rod. I was shocked to find the rod was 2 3/4 inches and not the 3 1/4 inch. Everywhere I check indicates the push rod should be 3 1/4 inch. I've ordered up a new pushrod and will see if I can run on mechanical pump alone. You just can't assume the correct parts. I bought this engine complete and then had it rebuilt and somewhere along the line the pushrod was changed out. The car same with an electric pusher pump already installed so when I had trouble the easiest and quickest solution was to use the electric pump. I' gonna feel a little foolish if this works!
Heads up on the replacement fuel pump push rods: Some are made of soft material. A good OEM used one would be best.

-
Back