Electric guitar...

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
Bought a electric guitar...
Gets here Wednesday...
I need something to keep my brain busy..
Overnight sensation... NO...
Next Eddy Han Halen... NO...
From what I can research on the internet if I was to play it a half hour a day it would probably take 3 months just to be able to be at beginner level and then intermediate level would probably be somewhere in the one year to two years..
And to be pretty good with it probably looking at 4 years. And expert probably a lot longer than that...
And all of that is probably playing at least a half hour every single day...
Generally I'm a fast learner and I don't tend to have a lot of give up in me so I'm seeing where these two immovable forces will take me..
Anyways I'd like to give it a try which is more than I've done in the past...
I'm wondering if anybody else has went down this road and how far they got?...

What kind did you get? I have several. It's a fun hobby. It's really "better" to start with acoustic first. That builds calluses on the fingers a lot quicker, making it easier to play sooner. They'll be sore as hell for a while, though.

A good friend of mine has taken up the acoustic, hes pretty good. Drives his wife nuts lol. I"played" a bit waayyy back, never any good tho....

There is a distinct difference between an electric guitar and an acoustic. I fully advocate learning on an acoustic as well, you will be playing chord shapes, and doing runs and breaks within those shapes. With an electric, you will probably be playing mostly bar chords, which is ok, but lead work is in the runs and chord shape, and lots of acoustic lead work will transfer right over to an electric.

There is a distinct difference between an electric guitar and an acoustic. I fully advocate learning on an acoustic as well, you will be playing chord shapes, and doing runs and breaks within those shapes. With an electric, you will probably be playing mostly bar chords, which is ok, but lead work is in the runs and chord shape, and lots of acoustic lead work will transfer right over to an electric.
I actually went to a music shop today that's close by my house and inform them of my cheap Amazon guitar that is on its way and I'll need to take it there for them to put it into tune for me.
I did pick up a guitar there and like the song jukebox hero it felt good in my hand LOL... I do like the idea of the thinner strings being easier to hold.. and while I hear what you're saying I really don't know anything about guitars or what you're saying.. but I reckon that will be the fun of it the learning...

I actually went to a music shop today that's close by my house and inform them of my cheap Amazon guitar that is on its way and I'll need to take it there for them to put it into tune for me.
I did pick up a guitar there and like the song jukebox hero it felt good in my hand LOL... I do like the idea of the thinner strings being easier to hold.. and while I hear what you're saying I really don't know anything about guitars or what you're saying.. but I reckon that will be the fun of it the learning...
You can probably use an free app on your phone to tune your guitar?? Also free on-line. I downloaded a free app that turned my phone into a level with a bubble and everything, worked great FREE!!

I will also add this… buy the best instrument you can find. A good instrument will be a pleasure to play, and will keep you wanting to play it. A low budget instrument will be a struggle, they just don’t have the finesse and playability of a better instrument. You don’t want a struggle when you’re first starting out. And, good instruments hold their value if you want to sell it and upgrade.

It takes dedication and quite a bit of time to improve. It's slow going at first learning basic chords it's just not natural to move your fingers like that! it is a great hobby and something that you can do as you age. I used to hang out with some friends that were pretty good players and drive them nuts as I struggled to learn to play. I had a good ear for tone and good natural rhythm we're the only things I had going for me. I really don't play anymore it just takes too much time to stay good enough that I can bear to listen to myself. I did break out the acoustics with my grandkids this weekend and had fun playing stray cat strut as a danced around in their underwear. The only gig I played in 15 years lol

You can probably use an free app on your phone to tune your guitar?? Also free on-line.
It actually comes with a tuner as part of the kit... I figured I could probably spend 50 or 100 bucks buying junk I probably don't need yet at the local music shop and get some good help in the future...
You know go in dumb as I am about this stuff and let them be the saviors.. and spend some money so that should get me some good help in the future...

I will also add this… buy the best instrument you can find. A good instrument will be a pleasure to play, and will keep you wanting to play it. A low budget instrument will be a struggle, they just don’t have the finesse and playability of a better instrument. You don’t want a struggle when you’re first starting out. And, good instruments hold their value if you want to sell it and upgrade.
Too late! LOL I bought the cheapest Amazon pile of crap I could afford... Actually I did upgrade to the better pile of crap... Again with that said like I was just saying in my last post I'll take it to the guitar shop and maybe have them restring it or tune it and play it and tell me what's wrong with it. I'm not afraid to spend money but at the first timer level I'd rather go shopping at Harbor Freight to see if I can turn the wrenches and then when I get good head over to snap-on ..

What do you play?..
A Few of Mine...

20191203_022636.jpg

20201207_135819.jpg

I started teaching my son on an acoustic, playing bluegrass. A lot of bluegrass lead work is directly related to rock lead guitar work, so once he learned the patterns, it was all about picking up the speed. One trick I taught him was to play in the dark, or with your eyes closed. Play very slow and methodical, making sure you play each note correctly. Then go around the pattern again a little faster each time until you start messing up, the fastest you can play without mistakes is the tempo you start at next time you practice.

here’s a guitar I bought about a year ago, just on a whim. It’s a 72 SG, one of the most effortless instruments to play that I’ve ever owned. I paid $1k for it, it’s worth about $3k.

5952CA39-095C-47BE-AD81-8FB6305F2309.jpeg

What do you play?..
Usually a fender stratocaster, MIM. For years I played bass. I'm no shining star... lol, I'm light years behind my brother. I play country style gospel. I play in our small church or at home.

IMG_20210625_143325405.jpg
A good setup is the key to a new guy sticking with the instrument. No one like manhandling the strings because they are too far off the fretboard... makes learning so much harder. Have that shop check the setup for you... it makes a diofference.

I've been playing since 1963. Still suck but I did play out for a few years with a couple country and oldies groups. Loved it.

Right now I own an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. and a Squire Strat. I am also about to build a "parts" guitar... a Fender Jaguar copy.

Good luck...

This is the best advice to a beginner.

Would you want your child to learn how to drive with a car that has balding tires, bad brakes, jumps out of gear and iffy power steering. No. You want to learn on a safe and efficient vehicle.

Most beginner say they don't want to sink a bunch of money into equipment they may not use ("because I'm not very good.") instead of paying more for better gear up front. So they fight a cheap instrument that won't stay in tune and has really high action. They get frustrated and stop.

Buy name brand midline gear to start. It's easier to play and holds value when it's time to sell or trade in.

With my Tele
Doug_April_7_2018.jpg

Last edited:
This is the best advice to a beginner.

Would you want your child to learn how to drive with a car that has balding tires, bad brakes, jumps out of gear and iffy power steering. No. You want to learn on a safe and efficient vehicle.

Most beginner say they don't want to sink a bunch of money into equipment they may not use ("because I'm not very good.") instead of paying more for better gear up front. So they fight a cheap instrument that won't stay in tune and has really high action. They get frustrated and stop.

Buy name brand midline gear to start. It's easier to play and holds value when it's tile to sell or trade in.

With my Tele
View attachment 1715756796
I understand that the best equipment should yield the best results...

-
Back