Electric of conventional engine fans

-

Billbo

Reaction score
Just wondering whats out there, which is the more desirable choice in cooling? Electric? or convention flex/clutch fans? Does any one know which is the more horspower hungry of the three? I am thinking of going back to an engine fan (flex fan) instead of electric. They say you get better cooling with the conventional fans but at the price of horsepower. I'd like to get some opinions.
Regards
Billy D...

electric, on basic principle of the matter will use the least HP.

flex would probably use more than a clutch.

I just took a clutch fan off and put a flex on. I do not know which is better yet.

flex fans are notorious for a blade coming off and through the rad at the most inoportune times

id go with the clutch if you prefer to stay original like, electric if not

Sanguine said:
flex fans are notorious for a blade coming off and through the rad at the most inoportune times

id go with the clutch if you prefer to stay original like, electric if not

I ain't ne'er heard of that happening :-/

It happens a lot more than you think. Never stand in line with the fan blades when tuning or bringing rpms up. The blades will cut thru body steel, belts, hoses, radiators, flesh. Never over-rev one either. Seen the carnage after.. I'll never run one. The biggest differences? Steady driven fan pulls decent air with proper radiator and shroud, but draws most power all the time, and is less efficient at higher engine speeds. Clutch fan draws much less, and pulls more, but draws power even when slipping. Just not as much power...lol. The eclectric is the best way. It senses when the engine needs the airflow to be cooled, and loads the alt only then. Most of the time, it's just along for the ride if it's done right. They fit anywhere, and carry their own shrouds. Easy choice really IMO.

Yep I put one through the hood on a buddies Firebird 400 on a 1/4 pass 25 years ago. Not good!

Electric is nice, but they are noisy at an idel when they come on for the most part. Yes you gain a few ponnies. But I think all around the clutch type seems good for a street car.

Little more noise Vs a few HP maybe 5-7??

-
Back