Electric or mechanical water pump/ electic pump questions

-

Ww58_bandit

Reaction score
Hello all

I am looking at fitting an electric water pump and after some advice.

The engine is a high comp (14/1 ratio) 493ci big block (Fully forged, trick flow heads, holley sniper efi system) that will only be used on the stripe.

Is a electric pump needed or will a high flow mechanism pump be ok??

What Gallon per min would pump will need to flow??

I will be running a thermostat spacers as need 2 ports to read temp (one for gauges other for efi system) does an electric pump need to be running for these to read the temp??

Would I need a thermostat whqt every option I choose. As I want to run braided AN lines and unable to find a water neck that will accommodate a mopar thermostat?

A 50 gallon Meziere electric pump will have fittings for you to mount a sender..It's nice to be able to run your w/p and fan after a run to cool down the engine.. Get as big a radiator as the car will hold and as big a fan as you can fit. I'm sure there's a T stat housing available with a tap. My wp has places for fittings on both ends.

20230325_163959.jpg

Being a strip only car this probably won't impact you at all but you are not able to run power steering with any electric water pump set up that I've found. I thought the Meizere drop in unit would work but it takes up the same place the belt routes for the power steering pump.

i'd suggest a themostat is necessary every time.

if you have ever washed dishes you know how long it takes that water to cool to a temperature that doesn't scald you hands.
the reverse is true as well. if it takes a long time to cool it takes a reasonably long time to warm up .... both actions driven by different temperature differences and different proceses so not comparable, but you get what i'm drving at.

same can be said of a furnace based, home heating system, with pumped water radiators in each room. the exit valve from each radiator should be set to 1/4 turn or less from being closed, Not full open. To slow the water flow in the radiator down so that it sheds 12-15 degrees as it traverses the radiator. with both open fully the water goes through too fast and is 1-2 degrees cooler and thats all....
takes you from a "hot to touch" radiator in a cold house, to a radiator where you can feel the heat coming off it from 2 foot away, a warmer house, just by adding that restriction.

a large mass of water traveling slow enough to dump its heat into the brass or aluminium of the radiator works best

Anything you can do to keep the water moving in bulk, but relativly slowly, improves cooling, hence the resriction provided by the thermostat is necessary and the cooling system has nice fat pipes.
The thermostat provides something for the pump to push againts, which reduces the chance of cavitation and the pump/block damage by errosion it causes... (everyone thinks standard pump impellors rust...they do. but that only half the story).

and it keeps what is the the block and heads long enough to pick up heat...and what is in the radiator ....in the radiator long enough to shed it
which is even more important when the ambient temperature is higher

without it you get a very hot engine and a very hot radiator but neither is shifting heat into the coolant and out again to the air flow in an efficient way. all indications to an observer is that the cooling system is working well... its not. the radiator is hot but the vast majority of heat energy created is still stuck in the motor. the cap vents or you blow off a pipe, so you buy a massive aluminium radiator.....

suggest water/blue coolant is still the best.... its specific heat capacity is appropriate for the design of the system. which matched radiator size and pump impellor rpm to the heat generated by the motor at the specific load/rpm

a race car with a standard pump should actually run a pump/pulley gearing that slows down the pump.... seems counter intuative, but the system was designed for a redline of 5000. if the car spends its time at 7000 change the gearing to make the pump think its 4000- 5000 and reduce parasitic loss at the same time. race cars don't tend to idle in traffic jams

sorry gone off on one i know little about electric pumps, but you should run a thermostat in my opinion.... might save you having to buy a huge radiator and carrying around another few lbs of coolant to fill it.

Dave

Last edited:
A 50 gallon Meziere electric pump will have fittings for you to mount a sender..It's nice to be able to run your w/p and fan after a run to cool down the engine.. Get as big a radiator as the car will hold and as big a fan as you can fit. I'm sure there's a T stat housing available with a tap. My wp has places for fittings on both ends.

View attachment 1716068581
Does the pump need to be running for the sensors to read?

When you say your wp has places for fitting both sides are you referring to me needing to run 2 sensors?

I've been looking for ages and unable to find to find a top that an and will accommodate a t-stat that why I was asking if it OK to run with out one.

Go to the Mezeire web site. Look at the accessories. There are outlet housings for AN hoses and spacers. Fit sb Chevy and BB Mopar. You can call them and tell them what you want.
A mechanical sensor doesn't need the pump on. I ran a mechanical probe into an adapter on the pass. side but there is also a pipe thread hole available on the driver's side. They have tapped holes on the bottom and sell 16AN fittings for hoses if that's what you want to run. Or fittings for a rubber hose. Do you need to run a thermostat? No ,but as pointed out you may choose to do so. I have a restriction (washer) in the t stat housing. You can always try both ways. Whatever works best for you.

stat with centre cut out does much the same job in a car that doesn't need reasonable cold-running, on- street performance, from the get-go

-
Back