Electric - Pusher Fan ?

-

RPMagoo

Just An Old Motorhead
Reaction score
I'm currently running a stock, 6 blade, mechanical fan. On a hot day, in certain conditions, My, near stock, 318 gets, a little hot (210+). -- On the highway, it runs 190-195. -- If I install a electric, pusher, fan, will it block air, and impact the temperature, while it's off, on the highway ?

I'm currently running a stock, 6 blade, mechanical fan. On a hot day, in certain conditions, My, near stock, 318 gets, a little hot (210+). -- On the highway, it runs 190-195. -- If I install a electric, pusher, fan, will it block air, and impact the temperature, while it's off, on the highway ?

Some, but probably not enough to make much of a difference.
The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Before you do anything else make sure that you've sealed all any and all areas between the radiator support and the hood. At low speeds the engine heat can go over the radiator support and through any holes in the support and get recycled through the radiator. This alone can cause your temps to be higher, that's why the factory installed a radiator support to hood seal on most cars. The seal also helps to funnel air into the radiator on the highway as opposed to the air flowing over the radiator. The seal also also keeps the engine heat in the engine compartment.
But to answer your original question: the pusher fan won't interfere much at all, plus you could leave it on all the time??
Treblig

Last edited:

no in my experience it will not affect highway cooling, install a 16inch pusher if you have
space limitations on the engine side. It will help cooling in stop/go and low speed

First, 210* isn’t that hot. If it stays below 220* I wouldn’t even worry about it.

Do you have a fan shroud? How about the front and rear hood seals?

Adding a pusher is a band aid. Your car should be able maintain temperature with a well kept mechanical fan set up.

Are you running a fan shroud?

First, 210* isn’t that hot. If it stays below 220* I wouldn’t even worry about it.

Do you have a fan shroud? How about the front and rear hood seals?

Adding a pusher is a band aid. Your car should be able maintain temperature with a well kept mechanical fan set up.

This is probly true, but there are those that have a hi h.p. engines that makes more heat than a stocker. Band aids may be necessary----- Over 700 horses is harder to cool than 3-400.
I had a 15" pusher in front to help at stop lights, and pulled it out in experimentation, haven`t noticed much diff. , except no extra cooling at the stop lights. Was comforting to hear it kick on when over 200---

Water pump pulley...is it smaller than crank pulley? May simply be a water flow issue.
A stockish 318 should not have cooling issues. How clean is the cooling system?
Anything changed? Parts, coolant, etc.

This is probly true, but there are those that have a hi h.p. engines that makes more heat than a stocker. Band aids may be necessary----- Over 700 horses is harder to cool than 3-400.
I had a 15" pusher in front to help at stop lights, and pulled it out in experimentation, haven`t noticed much diff. , except no extra cooling at the stop lights. Was comforting to hear it kick on when over 200---

Then you should ditch the mechanical fan system altogether and go full electric with fans that move enough cfm. Having both is just a waste of horsepower and efficiency. Just because it “works” on your car doesn’t mean it’s the best way to do it.

Regardless, the OP is talking about a mostly stock 318, so all of that is irrelevant.

Then you should ditch the mechanical fan system altogether and go full electric with fans that move enough cfm. Having both is just a waste of horsepower and efficiency. Just because it “works” on your car doesn’t mean it’s the best way to do it.

Regardless, the OP is talking about a mostly stock 318, so all of that is irrelevant.
That's a good idea as long as his radiator tubes are in good shape??? Treblig

That's a good idea as long as his radiator tubes are in good shape??? Treblig

The mechanical fan system should be more than capable of cooling a mostly stock 318 as long as the cooling system is in good repair and the engine is tuned well.

Since the OP’s temperatures seem to be getting high, and we know he’s already running a fan shroud and presumably has the hood seals, the radiator has probably just lost some efficiency with age/sediment/corrosion. He said it’s an AC car, so if the pulley is stock he should already have the overdriven water pump as well, although that’s worth checking.

The other thing is, if it isn’t getting hotter than 210* then there really isn’t an issue. Certainly not a big one.

If the radiator hasn’t been flushed or the coolant changes recently that would be a good step too.

I agree, when i had the mechanical fan on my demon with pretty built 340 and have a shroud and both hood seals it would rarely ever see 190, maybe in stop and go in the dead of summer when it was 98 out or if you were pretty aggresive on the street racing from stop light to stop light. Stayed at 180 the rest of the time. Since upgrading to the high flow water pump and t stat and clutch fan she sees 190 a lot more often, but that is due to the fan clutch setup, that mechanical fan should be moving tons of air.

I agree with the above, it may be time for a new radiator, also if you are running ac and have a condensor in front of the radiator it could be causing a restriction if both the fins on the condensor and radiator are damaged or clogged

Last edited:
-- _ _ _ _ (1) as long as the cooling system is in good repair --- (2) and the engine is tuned well. --- (3) and presumably has the hood seals. --- (4) He said it’s an AC car, --- (5) he should already have the overdriven water pump as well. --- (6) The other thing is, if it isn’t getting hotter than 210* then there really isn’t an issue. Certainly not a big one. --
--------- (1) Radiator just cleaned - new water pump. --- (2) Will check timing, and carb, plugs are OK.. --- (3) Does not have hood seals. --- (4) It's not a A/C car. --- (5) Water pump pulley is smaller than crank pulley. --- (6) I plan to live with it, since it's only an occasional event. -- Thanks

I do not have room for any elec fans, except the dual offset 14" fans I tried, they did not work as good as the 17" mech. fan w/ a 15'' booster in front.
Like I said what works on one may not work on another !

-
Back