Electric vacuum pump power source

-

Wvbuzzmaster

Reaction score
Ordered an electric vacuum pump kit to install on my 1972 Duster with power disc brakes (1973 style setup). The vacuum pump wants a 20 amp circuit, switched source, where should I pull that power from? I know the blue wire that goes to the alternator/electric choke/ballast resistor is switched but not fused… would it work? Kit comes with its own 20 amp inline fuse. I don’t want to put this thru bulkhead connector but could? Suggestion? Vacuum pump is a necessary evil to install due to my engine makes 10” vacuum at idle so power brakes are next to manual at this rate, so just want to pull power for the vacuum pump proper. And all my harnesses are brand new OEM style… spent over a grand for them all so I do not want to hack into them. Except for I obviously did the ammeter bypass modification, but that was it lol.

Ordered an electric vacuum pump kit to install on my 1972 Duster with power disc brakes (1973 style setup). The vacuum pump wants a 20 amp circuit, switched source, where should I pull that power from? I know the blue wire that goes to the alternator/electric choke/ballast resistor is switched but not fused… would it work? Kit comes with its own 20 amp inline fuse. I don’t want to put this thru bulkhead connector but could? Suggestion? Vacuum pump is a necessary evil to install due to my engine makes 10” vacuum at idle so power brakes are next to manual at this rate, so just want to pull power for the vacuum pump proper. And all my harnesses are brand new OEM style… spent over a grand for them all so I do not want to hack into them. Except for I obviously did the ammeter bypass modification, but that was it lol.

Hello Wvbuzzmaster
Short version.
Wire the pump up using a Relay (4 or 5 pin type).
You can trigger the relay off the run side of the ignition switch and power the relay (pump) directly off the battery.
4-pin-bosch-relay-30a.jpg

Hope this helps.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.

-
Back