Electric Woes

-

ckj688

Reaction score
I've been trying to fix this electric problem for a while now. I had recently gotten a 100 amp alternator because my old 65 amp had failed and I have a few things that demand more electricity in the car. Well, for some reason recently, the maxifuse I had installed to bypass the fusable link had kept blowing on me. Thinking it may have been something with the alternator, a friend allowed me to borrow a 65 amp alternator to test it, I had also replaced the voltage regulator at this time as well. What happens? The fuse blows again! So I'm wondering, I'm using a 30A fuse in the bypass...I've heard of people using a 50A fuse...should I try that? After the fuse blows the dash gets bright for a second and then the voltage gauge goes up to 16+ volts (the needle goes back and forth rapidly) and the ammeter goes dead...as it just stays suspended usually in the middle. I assessed the wiring thinking something may have burned but had found nothing. Should I put in a bigger fuse? Could this be something else? This only happens while I drive and the rpms increase, it doesn't blow at idle.

Thanks!
Craig

The factory wiring wasn't designed for 100 amp charging systems. That said, it sounds like your "new" regulator went bad. I think you need to take it to a good auto-electric shop to see what all needs to be upgraded.

alright, so this is what I did, someone posted a link bypassing the ammeter gauge. SO FAR (I drove from Worcester to New England Dragway, about a 160 miles round trip) and everything was working great. The only thing I noticed is while in park it seems like all the lights in and out of the car pulsate, but when I'm driving they don't...

-
Back