electrical demons

-

cudachaser

Reaction score
volt meter started to read 10 volts and drop down to 8 w/lights and accesories. stupid me didn't trust my brand new AutoMeter gauge because I had a ground problem earlier. Well woke up with a dead battery.
Charged my battery started right up and now volt meter reads 12.x at idle and over 14 at higher rpm's.
what gives, can an alternator or voltage reg start to go out; or could I have a short or something in my wiring. I did the re-wire myself ala MAD electrical suggestions. The alt is one of those low amp stock type with a transitorized voltage reg. If I wanted to change to a 75amp Powermaster w/ an electonic Mopar Performance reg what would I need to do. That volt reg has a triangular looking plug, where would I get that harness. I did see some old post that someone had schematics, if anyone could post any ideas or send schematics; I would greatly appreciate it. [email protected]

One of the best things I ever did was put on one of the MP constant voltage regulators.....I am always above 12 volts at idle even with the electric fuel pump and fan and head lights on. You need to add up all the amps of your accesories and find out if the alt can provide enough current. You might be maxing it out and burned up one of the fields......

I would expect over 14v at higher rpm. The battery is 12.6v. You need more than that to charge it.

I would agree with above inputs, however before anything "confirm" no grounds or shorts first.

Ensure your vehicle has everything in "off power" state. IE clocks/lights/doors closed etc.

Remove your neg battery cable and meter between the cable and battery post. If you get any reading at all you have a short/gound still. If not...charging system.

I do this often as a regular maint routine.

My penny.

-
Back