electrical failure on a 1975

-

edward9egan

Reaction score
I was driving and all of a sudden gray smoke came from under the dash on the driver's side. Then the car stopped running. There is no sign of burnt wires but nothing electrical works now.

The fuses are good and battery is good.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Could be inside the taped harness if you didn't haven't looked already or at the bulkhead connector.

Fusible link at the bulk head connector in the engine compartment. That happened on my 75. Smoke and all. I'll bet the red wires for your amp gauge is melted somewhere along the harness or bulkhead.

yeah my old 75 burned up the fusible link, and i had to chase wires into column and change ign switch. good luck

thanks for the fast replies everyone found the problem at the bulk head the red wire was melted through.

When you start the troubleshooting process, disconnect one battery cable and put the heaviest 12V lamp you can come up with IN SERIES with the cable. That way, if you come across the short, all that happens is that the lamp lights, instead of blowing the fuse link or melting the harness

An old headlight, or stop / tail lamp socket, you can even twist both wires together and use both lamp filaments. Easy way to hook to the socket if you cannot solder, is just clamp a length of wire to the metal socket shell with a worm drive hose clamp

First thing I'd check is to see if the alternator developed a short.

So................

Hook up your lamp

Use a test lamp and probe around, you probablly blew the fuse link. For now, you can just wire around it temporarily

With the fuse link hooked up, the lamp should light if the short is present.

Unhook the alternator output wire and see if the short goes away. If not, pull fuses one by one. Pull the headlight switch connector off.

Look around for burned harness areas, in the engine bay, and up under the dash

AND if that does not show things, you are probably headed for dropping the column, pulling the cluster, and untaping some harness(es)

i looked a little deeper into it and it was the main red wire to the amp meter under the dash. when it burnt through it took out a few other wires but it all works now that i have the main one replaced.

-
Back