Electrical fried for third time

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
Question!

Anyone know much about electrical?

Being a younger member(23),:love4: I love my stereo equipment.. and well..the trunk and head rattling Bass :shaking2:. Problem is, I have fried 2 voltage regulators and the amp. meter in my dash finally melted to the point that its no good, and I have been told :lurk: that why this is happening is because im drawing too much thru my dash from my radio's AMP in the trunk. To alliviate this problem, suggestions were made. But they were also made when i handed over $500 for them to fix it the LAST time.. (i had, had enough and couldnt calmly fix it myself as i was too aggrivated with the whole situation. so i opted for a professional.)

Do you know how i can stop this problem?
-Buring out my dash amp meter?
-Fri-ing my voltage regulator?
-is it possible to bypass the dash so that i can use a heavy gauge wire to corrispond with the wattage and amps in drawing with my large stereo.

And as I write this i debate weither or not i can actually afford this car, for the amount it breaks down since it is a daily driver. Its parked today do to the fact shes dead :crybaby:. I cant even go to work,, how unfortunet and all but im more concerned about the car.. shes sad.

the idea of removing the stereo is unpleasing to me.
!!!HHEEELLLPPP!!!

Thanks A Million
Cerwin

First you want to bypass the amp meter, they are nothing but trouble; go to www.madelectrical.com and you will get great info. I would run my stereo amp thru a relay, if you order a relay kit thru mad it comes with a collection of wiring diagrams. Basically your amp will then be powered directly by connecting to the starter relay. Peace

cudachaser said:
First you want to bypass the amp meter, they are nothing but trouble; go to www.madelectrical.com and you will get great info. I would run my stereo amp thru a relay, if you order a relay kit thru mad it comes with a collection of wiring diagrams. Basically your amp will then be powered directly by connecting to the starter relay. Peace

Definately.Defiantely.Definately bypass your amp gauge. That is a fire waiting to happen if you have a large pull on your charging system, it barely got the job done running the stock electrical equipment. Are you running a aftermarket/upgraded alternator? If so, it will make the load on the amp gauge higher causing more issues on a stock system, but when you bypass the amp gauge (which you really should) i'd suggest a upgraded alternator to kick out what you need. Also, if you don't bypass it soon, do yourself a favor and keep a fire extinuguisher in the car....damhik, i carry one from a previous experience.

auto2.gif

And being young myself, ive defiantely figured out to do things by yourself rather than paying someone. Your $500 sounds like it was wasted, anytime i paid someone for work i

A) Didn't learn anything, became more dependant on people that did (aka shops)

B) Cost me multiple times what i would cost me to do.

C) I usually wasn't satisfied with the work

between the tech here, and i'd also recommend q&a on moparts has helped a lot. You'll be able to get the info you need to do work yourself :headbang:

Cudachaser is right. I don't know what year you are working on, but most of these cars came with 35 amp alternators (as I recall). I would go a step farther, though, and rewire the car and improve the charging system, too. Otherwise you'll just drain the battery. Figure out what your load is and work from there. Use the relays if they are necessary for the amp. Some have an internal relay (or more likely a solid state version) so they just need a trigger and heavy power cable.

Run a heavy gauge fused wire directly from your battery to an installed power block in your trunk. Then a out of that to a 50amp I believe, fused line to your amp. Problem gone!!! Run a line from the radio from the auto antenna, usually a blue wire, if it has one, to the on/off line of the amp. This way when you turn on your radio instead of the power antenna going up it powers your amp on. Good luck!!!

onehellofadart said:
Run a heavy gauge fused wire directly from your battery to an installed power block in your trunk. Then a out of that to a 50amp I believe, fused line to your amp. Problem gone!!! Run a line from the radio from the auto antenna, usually a blue wire, if it has one, to the on/off line of the amp. This way when you turn on your radio instead of the power antenna going up it powers your amp on. Good luck!!!

my radio already has a amp on off wire. its just i want to bypass that melted stinky expsenive(by NOW) POS amp gauge that has cause me more grief then anything. now.. when i try to run the carit isles fine.. but when i try to snap the throttle it just bogs.. so i just connect the 2 bare wires. black and white and snap the throttle and everythings normal. but since i fried my regulator.. the longer it stays on the hotter the wires get. Urggg.. thanks guys.. it appears i have some reading to do to figure out how to pass it.. i already removed it from my dash.. and literally stepped... STOMPED on it outta sheer pissed off-ness adn i think it fried my tach too.. so im even more umm.. how you say.. MADER.. lol

cudachaser said:

That was a total boss site man, thanks im off to get some supplies and ill see you all later.. YEYE.

Thanks and goody thats a boss cuda.. i like your dash custom and mean.. lookin good. And to jim lusk.. a side note... i honestly thought that the light switch had to be grounded.. i guess the wiper switch only has to be? it did for me.

Peace and thanks all.
Cerwin

-
Back