electrical guru what should i be looking for tail light problem

-

rva

Reaction score
ok just completing a major resto,on a 71 duster all lighting inside and out works except the pass side tail light, problem no brake light and no turn signal, park light is fine what should I be looking for?

Since the brake and turn are the same in the two filament bulb and your tail light works I would suspect a bad bulb. I believe it would be an 1157. If not that check your contacts to the bulb.
Yote

Since the brake and turn are the same in the two filament bulb and your tail light works I would suspect a bad bulb. I believe it would be an 1157. If not that check your contacts to the bulb.
Yote
replaced the bulb numerous times with bulbs known to work, tried new socket even did a test before the rear harness same problem.

Check before the rear harness???? Do you mean the connection in the trunk and/or at the firewall ?
Yote

Check before the rear harness???? Do you mean the connection in the trunk and/or at the firewall ?
Yote
behind the driver side kick panel, were the harness would plug in to the harness going to the tail lights

behind the driver side kick panel, were the harness would plug in to the harness going to the tail lights
the brown wire that feeds the pass brake and turn signal correct, me if i'm wrong.

In addition to checking this connector, check the turn signal switch harness connector where it plugs into the main harness at the steering column. If all this checks good for continuity, chances are the turn signal switch is probably bad - turn signal and brake switch power is all integrated together in the turn signal switch before going out to the wiring.

EDIT: if it's the turn signal switch it might be a broken wire otherwise chances are you will need to replace it with a new or known good one.

Last edited:
If you have checked at all the connections I am at a bit of a loss . One method I have used to help isolate a problem is to reverse power supply. By that I mean to remove battery from car and use it to connect positive to the wire in the socket , Negative to body .Disconnect the connections first and use a test light at each connection to verify power. Reconnecting as you test forward.
Yote

In addition to checking this connector, check the turn signal switch harness connector where it plugs into the main harness at the steering column. If all this checks good for continuity, chances are the turn signal switch is probably bad - turn signal and brake switch power is all integrated together in the turn signal switch before going out to the wiring.

EDIT: if it's the turn signal switch it might be a broken wire otherwise chances are you will need to replace it with a new or known good one.
I have a feeling i'm going to end up at the turn signal switch, will try the connection first thanks for the imput

-
Back