Electrical Help with 1968 Side Markers on a 1967.

-

Dartncharger

Reaction score
I have them all installed, and the back ones I hooked up to the taillights. No issues there.
Problem: I can hook to the parking lights or the headlights. How do I hook up the front ones where they are on all the time?
New 1968 front end harness? Or?
I really don't want to hack on the 67 harness any more than necessary.
Any help here guys?

Greg

they should be connected to the park light just like the rears are connected to the tail lights

The side marker lights should ground to the fender. If you want them on all the time (I`m guessing you mean with the headlights) then just tap your hot wire from the headlight. The `67 is lacking the wiring harness for the side marker lights and has a different configuration for the horn relay but you can tap either the parking light or headlight for power. If you tap the parking light you can get either the wire that works with the parking light itself or the wire that operates the turn signal. I think if you tried using a `68 harness you`d encounter problems with the horn relay wiring.

Thanks for all the thoughts fellas. Am going to hook them up to the headlight wires. Seems to be the least amount of grief AND time involved.

Thanks for all the thoughts fellas. Am going to hook them up to the headlight wires. Seems to be the least amount of grief AND time involved.

So now you only need to decide will they be on with hibeams , lowbeams or one of each. LOL
The are supposed to be connected to the park light circuit.

but in 67 the front parking lights go off with the head lights on

but in 67 the front parking lights go off with the head lights on

OH YEAH ! That splains it.
Method A;
Behind the left kick panel is the rear light harness. Find the brown wire supplying the rear park lights and tag light and tap into it. Route prferably brown wire to the left front marker and on to the right front marker.
Method B;
Another way would be find the same brown wire at the headlight switch and alter thee wiring there so the front park lights remain on with headlights. Then connect the side markers to the park lights.
I dont know which way I would go.. probably method A.

I agree with RedFish and his method A. Seems to be the simpler more logical way to go.

-
Back