Electrical knowledge needed

-

71DonutDuster

Reaction score
So I am swapping in a 440 into my 71 Duster. Plan on using a R2R dizzy. I have been welding and cleaning up the engine bay to get ready for the install. I am jumping the gun a little but I like to be methodical and have a plan. I have never wired a car before but plan to do most of this myself. Can I eliminate ballast and ICM when wiring the car. What is needed also plan to move battery to the trunk. What can be done with starter solenoid. Want it be hidden somewhat. I feel like taking it to the trunk as well it will be to far away. Just don’t want to close up holes that I may need. Thanks In advance…

By "starter solenoid" I think you mean "starter relay." If you want to hide it you can move it under the dash, or replace it (under the dash) with a modern "Bosch style" which is what is used on the Ram/ Dakotas, etc.

So far as the ballast follow the destructions pertaining to whatever ignition system you install. If you DO eliminate the ballast, there is one "catch." The IGN1 "ignition run" output from the ignition switch feeds out into the engine bay, feeds one end of the ballast, the VR, the alternator field, electric choke "if used" and some smog doo dads, depending on year/ model. THAT FEED GOES DEAD during crank

The ignition power for "start" comes from a SECOND contact on the ignition switch, IGN2, which is the (usually brown) ballast bypass circuit. This comes from the switch, and goes to the coil+ side of the ballast, so the coil gets full battery voltage during crank

If you install any ignition NOT using a ballast, you either need to connect the ballast wires together or connect the IGN1 and IGN2 together.

What is needed also plan to move battery to the trunk
Very heavy gauge wire. IMHO if the run calls for 0 gage go 00 basically go to a gage larger in diameter than you need. it lowers the resistance and you will be happier in the long run.

So right now I have the car completely stripped of wire and just bare shell. Planning on stretching the harness and just adding wire from a universal hot rod kit. I am closing up the bulk connector and going to run straight runs through to hide as much wire as possible. But want to figure out what can be eliminated and what has to stay. The relay is what I meant just do not want it on fender for a cleaner look. I am not shaving the firewall just eliminating holes. Closed the insulation spike holes.

-
Back