Electrical Problem: Everythings Dead?

-

Eat My Dust-er

Reaction score
I just finished putting a 440 into a 318 car ('74 Challenger) I know it's not an "A" body but pretty similar wiring, I hooked everything up (enough to fire it up) but everything is dead. The only thing I DON'T have hooked up is the alternator, that wouldn't cause it would it??? I checked the fuseable link that connects to the starter relay and it's good. Is there more than one fuseable link under the hood? I have power to the starter, (only at the starter when jumped across right on the starter) but nothing else. Any suggestions?

I've looked really carefully but only found one fuseable link. The starter relay is from another car, the car the motor came from, should this make a difference? The bulkhead connectors seem to have some corrosion, is there a way to thoroughly clean them?

The fusible link should go from the battery terminal on the starter relay to the bulkhead connector. I would start by chckeing for power on the dash side of the bulkhead connector. my guess is the bulkhead connector is causing the issue.

amp meter? did '74 have one? all my cars do but they are older then '71. Ignition switch? The bulk head connector could also be a player. Did you arc the starter relay to c if you had power there? It could also be a bad starter relay. just a few things to check. I wish my challenger was that close to being ready to drive.

Yeah, I double checked my grounds and cleaned them good. Would it make a difference if the alternator isn't hooked up yet (I still need a bracket). How can I clean the bulkhead connectors :help:

Yeah, I double checked my grounds and cleaned them good. Would it make a difference if the alternator isn't hooked up yet (I still need a bracket). How can I clean the bulkhead connectors :help:

if you can fire it, what do you mean by dead? yes hook up the alternator. where is the hot wire for it at? did you leave it dangling? did you cover the end of it so it doesn't go to ground?

I can't fire it, I can only turn it over by crossing the terminals on the starter but there is no power anywhere so the ignition won't turn on. Here's what I have so far.........I finally got to it with an electrical testor and I have current to the starter but only on the big terminal. There is NO POWER on the small starter terminal and from there on. I have the small starter terminal wire going to the starter relay,,,then from the starter relay, the fuseable link go's to the bulkhead connector. Is this the right schematic? If this IS right, and the small starter terminal normally don't have current throught it, where does the ignition get it's power from? Also, if it IS right the blame would be the starter right??

I THINK I GOT IT:cheers: I was looking over a wiring diagrahm on here and seen I was missing a wire from the battery to the positive terminal on the starter relay. I made a quick mock-up wire and tried it and it fired right up:cheers:

-
Back