Electrical Problem

-

GT340

Original Owner
Reaction score
The other day my '72 Duster lost all electrical. The fusible link melted. Nothing works including the dome light, no headlights, no electric fuel pump, the whole system is dead!

The problem is beyond the bulkhead on "J". I've disconnected all three bulkhead connectors (also the battery grd and pos cables) and the short is on the lead going to the ammeter "A1-12R". I disconnected the lead from the ammeter "R6-12BK", the short is still on the wire leaving the ammeter.

This lead goes to a junction where 6 wires are common.

Six common wires:
From ammeter R6-12BK---------- to JUNCTION 1 leaves as J1-12R ----- to steering wheel connector (I've disconnected all leads to steering wheel)

Headlight switch L1-16BK* ------- JUNCTION 1 leaves as R6-12BK -----to Bulk Head disconnect (bulkhead disconnected isloated back towards Junction 1) also removed the headlight switch plug.

Fuse Block Q3-14R---------------- to JUNCTION 1 leaves as H1-16V----- to horn/key in buzzer (also disconnected/which also isolates it back to junction 1), horn / key buzzer plug disconnected.

Right now I have disconnected the started leads, fuses, steering column plugs, headlamp switch, horn/key In relay buzzer, all the bulkhead connectors and I still have the ground.

Has anyone ever had this same problem? The short is under the dash someplace. I can't find the area where all the 6 wires are junctioned at????

Thanks

GT340

EDIT:

This morning I found the problem. The alternator was grounded internally. Just got it rebuilt and everything is OK.

so when the constant hot leads are detached any switch or whatever, you are still pulling a draw? detach both from the ammeter, temporarily put a screw and nut thru the ring terminals, and tape it up. see if the ammeter is going to ground.

Check the hot lead from the alternator mine fried the fusible link when it touched the exht manifold, it may be grounding on the motor also.
Bruce

The problem was the diodes in the alternator. Had it rebuilt and its up and running!

The problem was the diodes in the alternator. Had it rebuilt and its up and running!

It`s good that you let everyone know what the problem was. I`m glad you got it fixed. When people ask about electrical problems I usually look for things that have been added on to the system.

-
Back