Electrical problem

-

Tim grauer

Reaction score
both the wipers and the signal turn on when the ignition is off any suggestions as to where i start looking to fix the problem

First guess is the main dash power has melted and energized the other circuits bundled with it. Happened to me and it energized my horn first, then the headlights. Luckily the headlights quickly drained the battery before things got really ugly..

i38201.jpg

That's a different circuit. Your problem is on the Accy circuit.

Could it be the ignition switch itself

It could.
Unplug it and if that is the problem the stuff will go off.
If they don't go off then it's in the wiring or a melted bulkhead connector.

Headlights, interior light, dash lights, tail and brake lights always have power to them.
Reverse lights usually don't light until the ignition is on and the same with signals.

The column mounted switch has a short wire harness made onto it. There's a white connector to the cars harness under the dash. These connectors have melted and crossed circuits. Doesn't explain why the radio isn't involved though... unless there is more than one hot in run buss bar in the later model fuse boxes. That wouldn't surprise me.
There's another harness connector out there in the engine bay near back of right rocker cover that also has a melt down history. It's white plastic also. A crossed circuit and back feed there would light up some circuits. To power blower, wipers, etc.. at once when back feeding through these smaller wires will do more harm. I would visually inspect those known culprits first.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for all the advise I'LL get at is as soon as the weather permits and get back to you

Just please don’t leave it with the battery hooked up. Seriously

I'd check the bulk head connector first for signs of damage, then start closely combing through the dash harness..

Don't know which white connector you're at. If you're under the steering column there are two. One for the signals, hazard, and horn, that has a crowd of smaller gauge wires, a rainbow of colors.
The one for ignition switch has 5 or 6 large gauge wires. A red, a brown, a blue, a yellow, a black, etc... If you separated the ignition switch connector and didn't find melting there, we'll assume the problem is elsewhere in the harness.

The larger single wire looks like the main power into the cabin. If so it should be plugged into a fusible link. Unless there have been some wiring mods, the whole cabin should now be off.
The other 3 wire connectors? Don't know. Could be a/c, or some EPA crap, or most anything. Knowing more about the car, like what model?, what accessories?, might help.

only way to be sure is to trace them.. I'd start popping that plastic loom cover and get intimate with the harness.

this is a genuine cry for help, she needs you..

-
Back