Electrical problems **Help PLease**

-

streetdemon

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dodge Dart with a 225 leaning tower of power that I am all of a sudden having problems with. Today I installed my new Lokar throttle and kickdown. After I finished I started it up so that I could adjust the trans.

Then I noticed some smoke coming from an old wiring splice that went from the battery to the starter relay...the repair done years ago. I replaced the connection with a new with a whole new wire. After this was done I noticed more smoke coming from the fusable link going to the fuse box (wire had been spliced into by previous owner.

At this point I noticed that my AMP gauge was pinging the +40 mark. The car had a charging problem before all of this stuff occured and always sat to the left of the center mark.

Soo...I went to the auto parts to get a new fusable link and repair the that section of bad wiring. I get there and they act like they have never heard of one.

My question is can I use an inline fuse to repair this or do I need to find another fusable link. If I can use an inline fuse what size shoud I use? I tried a thirty amp and it will idle fine but as soon as I rev the engine it pops it. Would a 50 amp work???

Also, why would the fuse get a spike when I rev the engine? Voltage regulator bad???

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would rather fix the problem correctly than rig it up with a temporary fix.

Thanks,
Brad

Alternator grounding out? Amp gauge going bad? Something constant hot is grounding and sounds like a MAIN hot wire getting hot.

They have fusable links on the shelf at Napa and Advance in my town. Sounds like either your voltage regulator is bad or the wiring is bad to the fields on the alternator. The amp gauge should not be anywhere near the +40 mark unless the battery was completely dead.

Is there a way to check the voltage regulator? Or should i take both the alternator and VR up to a different auto parts? I may have gotten one of those wonderful rookies when I was looking for that fusable link.

Brad

fusable links are by size of the wire. if i remember right most are 14 or 16 gauge.

links are by size only as they don't just blow like a fuse. use a good electrical stripper to check the wire size and match one up. sometimes you will get lucky and it will have a tag to tell you what size on it.

hi unhook the battery if its not already unhooked then the alternator wires and tape them up. make shure the fuseable link is good.then quikly touch the battery cable to the battery. if it doesn,t spark its the alternator if it does its not.

Thanks everyone! I am off to another autoparts today at lunch to see if I can track down a new link. I will keep you updated.

Problem solved.

Installed a new fusible link and voltage regulator and now I am good to go. Thanks for everyones help!

Brad

-
Back