Electrical pulse

-

RSM

Reaction score
I have most of the bugs sorted out on my 5.7 swap into my 71 Demon but now that I have the charging system working all of the lights and the electric fuel pump have a pulse to them. With a digital volt meter at the battery it ranges from 14.50 to 15.1 volts. The voltage on the meter will stop changing and go steady for a couple of seconds then go back to fluctuating but the lights will still pulse and the fuel gauge continues to pulse as well. This wasn't happening when the charging system wasn't working and the engine running before I sorted out the charging system. I used the front cover/assemblies for a 2009 Challenger on the Ram 5.7 engine. The alternator is a rebuilt unit from Autozone ( I know...that's where my problem started lol) and the regulator/wiring harness is from Quick Start. They said to set the resistance at 1.750 ohms and that will be preset for 14.1 volts. At that setting it's well over 15 volts to the battery. I have it set to 1.850 ohms for the 14.5+ volts ( I need to dial the voltage back a little more). This is my first swap like this but not my first rodeo so the normal things to check are all good. Anyone ever run into this before?

Do you have real good grounds?
I have grounds all over the place. The negative cable is bolted to the head on the drivers side. From there I have grounds going to the other head, the timing cover and 2 grounds going to the top of the block where the injector wriring harness is grounded. I have a ground going to the radiator support and inside the car for a ground bar for all the Gold Box and everything else....

I would guess you have a ground loop somewhere Either that or you have EMI from something such as the EFI/ ignition system. EG MSD igntion can cause this sort of problem

I would start by increasing ground wire size affecting the VR, AKA ground from battery to body.

Describe more about the system?

Not familiar with this VR/ harness you speak, link?

What ignition / EFI?

Where is battery located?

What do you have for grounding/ bonding from body to engine to battery?

What wattage is the resister?

How / where is it in the system.

Other then setting a voltage what is it supposed to do?

The regulator has an adjustable resistor built in. The amount of resistance regulates the output voltage of the alternator. there are several You Tube videos on them from Quick Start.

Have you not read all of the comments I have posted?
So far you haven't posted a single thing that was factual to help us help you. Have fun with it, I am out of here

This board is a two-way street. NObody is paying ANY of us for our time. If you want help you need to step up and answer questions. I'm 75, and I don't have time for this nonsense

There are plenty of grounds between steel and aluminum. I'm 61 and I've been doing this for about 45 years. I'm a retired fully certified ASE school bus mechanic so like I said, all of the normal things have been checked. That's why I'm hoping someone has seen this exact issue and can enlighten me on how to solve it. I spend a few hours here and there on the car (it's a project) and on the internet doing research but I haven't ran across this particular issue with any info on the internet.

There are plenty of grounds between steel and aluminum. I'm 61 and I've been doing this for about 45 years. I'm a retired fully certified ASE school bus mechanic so like I said, all of the normal things have been checked. That's why I'm hoping someone has seen this exact issue and can enlighten me on how to solve it. I spend a few hours here and there on the car (it's a project) and on the internet doing research but I haven't ran across this particular issue with any info on the internet.
What about steel and steel. Is the dash grounded as in are all the screws holding it in. Is the voltage limiter good? Kim

What about steel and steel. Is the dash grounded as in are all the screws holding it in. Is the voltage limiter good? Kim
The dash is secure, all mounting bolts/screws are in place. The limiter on the cluster is good. Never had any issues when the 318 was in the car. I'm going to call Quick Start tomorrow and see if this rings a bell with them.

-
Back