ELECTRICAL QUESTION

-
Last post.......

The socket of this harness is insulated. It has 2 wires leading to it. One (orange) is connected to the dash dimming circuit and the other (black) is grounded directly to the cowl. I am trying to understand (I am inquisitive) as to why (in this case) the bulb base is energized and not the tip?

View attachment 1715879676
I've already explained this. Some engineer for some unknown reason, DESIGNED that socket, OR perhaps (guessing) whoever manufactured it fucked up and it "just doesn't matter." It's very very simple. The socket is insulated so it just doesn't matter. The black grounds one terminal of the bulb, and the orange is dash dimmer controlled lighting. Stop overthinking something that happened 50 years ago, and the guilty parties are long since dead.

ANSWER ME THIS Have you actually taken an ohmeter and confirmed that black goes to center?
I'm out

I've already explained this. Some engineer for some unknown reason, DESIGNED that socket, OR perhaps (guessing) whoever manufactured it fucked up and it "just doesn't matter." It's very very simple. The socket is insulated so it just doesn't matter. The black grounds one terminal of the bulb, and the orange is dash dimmer controlled lighting. Stop overthinking something that happened 50 years ago, and the guilty parties are long since dead.

ANSWER ME THIS Have you actually taken an ohmeter and confirmed that black goes to center?
I'm out
Sorry Del. I am always trying to learn. I thought there may be an "electrical theory" reason.:(

-
Back