electrical wires

-

dart67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
These two wires were connected to the negative side of the amp meter. In a 74 duster.
Are they supposed to be there? No idea what they go to.
wires.jpg

An ammeter is a pass through meter, both sides are positive. I am not sure why there are two black wires. A black wire comes from the alternator output to the ammeter, the red goes to the starter relay which continues to the positive battery terminal. Not sure what the second black wire is for.

There is actually 3 black wires

It sounds like the previous owner put both ammeter leads on one post, effectively bypassing the ammeter. It's very common due to ammeters can be a fire hazard. Does your car have power with those wires disconnected? If not, touch them together and see if power is restored.

There is a red wire on 1 side of the ammeter and then 2 black wires to the other side of the ammeter, don't know which way to put it back together?

A previous owner might have replaced the original red one for a black one. You need to refer to a wiring diagram to figure out what is going on.

There is a red wire on 1 side and black wire on the other side, there are 2 additional black wires wires, i'll try and find a wiring diagram

Last edited:
In my 74 dart the red one went on the left side, closest to the door if that makes sense.

It wasn't totally unheard of for the factory to add on at that side of the ALT' gauge. That's how they powered the clock addition in a rallye dash.
If they look like OEM terminals, wires taped into harness and all, they probably are.
The line in / red wire side of the gauge should be marked on the circuit board. That one stands alone. All the blacks will go on the other unmarked side.

The ammeter works, looks like 2 other black wires go up under the dash toward the passenger side of the car, yes they look factory,

Is that a marrette on the LH side? If so I would deal with that asap. Also go to MyMopar.com for free factory service manuals

-
Back