Electronic conversion mopar distributor

-

johnnycuda

JohnnyCuda's 68
Reaction score
Hey all i'm not that familiar with this setup
can i use existing harness? or do i need to install New one.
Looks like it had electronic before but not this kind.

5F59FCBA-D597-4B03-B291-4DA53E639258.jpeg

6F9C9F9B-7569-48C0-8B25-9E0414AEC277.jpeg

The box will plug right into your existing setup and operate fine HERE IS THE DEAL

Your old harness, with a dual ballast, was set up for a "5 pin box" The box you have in the car may or may not be a 5 pin box

The harness/ dual resistor will operate with EITHER a 4 or 5 pin box

Your new box with a single ballast is a FOUR pin box

A four pin box will operate with either a single or dual ballast/ harness
An older five pin box MUST have a dual ballast/ harness

YOU CAN NOT TELL a 4 from a 5 pin box by looking because SOME 4 pin boxes have 4 pins, and SOME 4 pin boxes have 5 physical pins.

The ONLY difference between a 4 and 5 pin setup:

The older 5 pin boxes, which have not been manufactured in decades, required a separate power supply to the box, coming from the second ballast resistor. That detail was reworked and eliminated in the 4 pin design. You have not been able to buy a 5 pin box for decades

NOTICE two points here in these diagrams. Look at the both of them, and look at the 4 pin resistor. Notice that the top of the resistor is jumpered together, which is the power coming into the resistor from the key. This electrical "point" by the way is the point at which "ignition run" is branched off to the VR, to the alternator field, and other underhood loads

NOTE that in both diagrams THE COIL + WIRING is the same as it would be for BREAKER POINTS. If the system quits on the road, and you happen to have a "points" distributor, you could drop it in, unplug the box, hook up the dist. wire to coil NEG, and drive off

NOTE that the only difference between 4/5 pin diagrams is the LEFT resistor. That resistor feeds a wire to the box, which is missing with the 4 pin box.

Ignition_System_4pin.jpg

Ignition_System_5pin.jpg

Also note that neither of these diagrams is quite complete. Missing is the brown IGN2 bypass circuit which attaches to the coil+ side of the ballast

Last edited:
You can leave wiring as is. I've seen some people use lower female side of connectors on the single style ballast. Not sure if you need to bypass upper connectors? Or just use a new 4 prong ballast and be done.

You can leave wiring as is. I've seen some people use lower female side of connectors on the single style ballast. Not sure if you need to bypass upper connectors? Or just use a new 4 prong ballast and be done.
Read my post. if you want a "cleaner look" you can install the new 2 pin ballast and clean up what's left over, wiring wise. The old wire going from resistor to the box is not needed The chances of needing a 5-pin box harness later on are nearly zero

NOTICE!!!! A side note it is absolutely essential that the ECU box be grounded!!

-
Back