Electronic Ignition Box

-

72dart_swinger

Reaction score
How can someone keep the goo from the back of the electronic ignition box from leaking out on the fender of a car? Can I make a short steel box to put it in to catch the goo?

If the darn thing is not overloaded (great big coil, wrong/ no ballast)

and is a good quality piece, it should not "leak goo."

Hell, it was back in the '70's when I converted my RR to electronic--before there ever was such a thing as Mopar Performance or "kits."

I ran these in both my RR and my Mopar powered FJ-40 for several years, and never once thought about having "goo" come out.

if the darn thing is not overloaded (great big coil, wrong/ no ballast)

and is a good quality piece, it should not "leak goo."

hell, it was back in the '70's when i converted my rr to electronic--before there ever was such a thing as mopar performance or "kits."

i ran these in both my rr and my mopar powered fj-40 for several years, and never once thought about having "goo" come out.
x2

Mine isnt leaking and is all factory parts so hopefully it wont start leaking, I was just wondering because I have seen the goo on other cars and wanted to prevent it. Thanks

I think a good box will not leak if it is grounded good and do like our members here has said to do .
Here is what I did when I took a cheepo ECU that came with the kit. It did puke all over my fender, so here is what I did ...

The first picture was the kit I put on to replace my points

and as you can see it puked on my fender

I took all the protections in case the new one wanted to puke but it's been puke free :cheers: All I have to do is remove the plate and paint engine bay and put it back on, after I beautify the plate with swirls and smmoth up the edges :-D

Attachments

• i12241.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 204
  • JEEP%20FRESH%20AIR%201993%204_0%20036.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 198
  • Picture 087.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Picture 222 002.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Picture 222 089.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 200
If this ever happens to me, and it came from Ma, there's gonna be a hole in the front window of the local dealer. Either that or the parts guy is gonna have sore ears.

Get a real American-made module from Ray at Old Car Parts Northwest (206-300-1083) or go to HEI upgrade and get rid of the ballast resistor and goo-puking module forever. Orange, blue, black, chrome or any other color, all the Mopar boxes and most of the aftermarket ones are now Made in the People's Republic of Permanent Normal Most Favored Nation Trading Status.

I run old ones from the bone yard and they work well. The box on my car now came from an old motorhome and was a ball of rust. A little sanding and orange paint= new orange box. I know I'm cheap but have not had a failure and I figure old ecu is better than new China equipment.

-
Back