electronic ignition conversion recommendation

-

agarcia5

Reaction score
I would like to know what recommendations you have,or advise you all can give me on selecting brand or products for converting into electronic ignition.

Petronix, MSD, etc.??

The engine is a 318 bore over .20

Thanks for all your help!

Arturo

I would just go with the HEI distributor, hook up two wires to the coil and its ready, can get rid of the factory control box and lots of wiring that way.

Get yourself a Mopar electronic distributor( probably someone on this forum has one for sale) and get a HEI setup from TrailBeast(on here) and you will have a nice setup. Good hot spark, easy to set up, no more ballast resistor and parts are in every parts house in the country(if you ever need them). Dennis

For street drivers, I just use the MP electronic conversion kit.

Presumably you currently have a points distributor (pre-1972?). Simplest for you is the Chinese "ready-to-run" HEI distributor ($45 on ebay). Mostly good reviews here. The 8-pin HEI module (TrailBeast kit) will let some after-market engine controllers command spark timing. You can get the same parts cheap off any 85-95 GM truck in the junkyard. For any HEI control, bypass your ballast and run a better e-core coil. If you buy Pertronix, get their II or III. The original still uses a ballast. Much info here. Search and read.

I'd run a crane cams hi-6 cd ignition with a crane cams lx91 ignition coil. I've been running this combo for about 2 years and it's been great, no problems what so ever.

-
Back