electronic ignition for my 6

-

karwash

Reaction score
Howdy:
I have a 66 valiant wagon 6 cylinder. Want to convert to electronic ignition. Can I get some ideas on the best brand to purchase??
Thanks in advance.

you could rob the stock stuff out of a later model that has electronic ignition.i have a 66 valiant as well that i converted using a GM 4 pin hei module and a stock mopar dizzy.if the set up is pretty much stock,then both the methods i listed will work fine.

I have a 71 Dart and used a Pertronix Ignitor for a month or so. Worked great, easy to install, no need to change the distributor. Installs on your current disty in place of the points.

Found it cheapest on Amazon, $66 bucks shipped.

I pulled it out because I was chasing other problems but would not hesitate to use it again.

I have a good used slant electronic distributor if you are interested pm me.
I ran it with the gm hei set-up and it ran great in my truck.

i like the HEI conversion. it coulndt be simpler to install and it works great.
look at this mount i have come up with for it. it puts the module between the coil and dizzy where it belongs. keeps the wires to a minimum. allows airflow around it, and it looks great. it is made from 1/8 aluminum diamond plate.
let me know if you want one. i have a bending jig setup and can make more

Attachments

• HEI mount 001.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 305
The one downside that I see with the Pertronix setup is that you can't buy parts for it locally. If it dies, you are screwed. You can easily put the points back in until you get a new one, but I like the idea of hitting the local parts store for a module or whatever if I need it.

i like the HEI conversion. it coulndt be simpler to install and it works great.
look at this mount i have come up with for it. it puts the module between the coil and dizzy where it belongs. keeps the wires to a minimum. allows airflow around it, and it looks great. it is made from 1/8 aluminum diamond plate.
let me know if you want one. i have a bending jig setup and can make more

Do you have more pictures of your set up? how is heat soak the way you have it? Also a pm is on the way.

Hi Karwash. I'll give you my two cents worth. The HEI set up may be better but I plan on using a Pertronix in my slant 6 Swinger. I installed one in a customers 66 slant 6 dart convertible about three years ago. She drives it daily all summer long and has had no problems. I installed one in my 64 Galaxie about four years ago with no problems. What I like about it is, you don't know it's there. And no one else does either. But 74desertduster is right. If it fries, you're screwed. Keep a set of points and condenser in the glove box.

-
Back