Electronic Ignition Recommendations

-

Jons340Dart

Reaction score
It's time to step up to the plate. I am still running a points ignition set up and want to upgrade to electronic ignition.

I am looking for some recommendations on an ignition setup - soup to nuts - distributor, coil, box, limiters, wires etc....

I have a warmed over 340 - mild cam only - intended use is street with the occasional nostalgia strip run for ***** and giggles...

Any feedback positive or negative with your experiences would be welcomed.

I have been considering MSD or Mopar - just not sure what...it's my first crack at this.

Well, the MSD has an advantage under 3000 rpm and is excellent for street cars traveling under this RPM. A real mileage helper.

The MoPar Chrome box is my pick.

FBO has a similar unit a tad cheaper and better.

You can get a Mopar Performance conversion kit from Mancini or Summit for around $200 that will do everything you need, or you can order an aftermarket conversion kit that will do a little more and pay twice as much or more. Them's your options. It's up to you to decide if the extra cost is worth the little more you will get. Chances are you will not even notice the difference unless you are an all out racer. That's my $.02.

Got the MSD (6a) only as I don't strip. I found it to be a nice addition for the cost. I'm only running with the basic late 70s dist however, I upgraded the voltage reg, swapped to a chome box and MSD wires. The mini starter with the above really improved starting, fuel burn and the "overall" performance.

BTW..if you have a tach, you may have to get a tach adaptor box to run with the MSD.

2052882_30.jpg

Got the MSD (6a) only as I don't strip. I found it to be a nice addition for the cost. I'm only running with the basic late 70s dist however, I upgraded the voltage reg, swapped to a chome box and MSD wires. The mini starter with the above really improved starting, fuel burn and the "overall" performance.

BTW..if you have a tach, you may have to get a tach adaptor box to run with the MSD.

FYI -many makes of tachs will work with MSD boxes without adapters.

Well, the MSD has an advantage under 3000 rpm and is excellent for street cars traveling under this RPM. A real mileage helper.

The MoPar Chrome box is my pick.

FBO has a similar unit a tad cheaper and better.

I have the fbo ign on my 83 cop car with 318 4 bbl. Daily driven for 3 years and no issues other than the ballast resistor.Starts better,idles better and has more low to hi rpm power. My fbo kit came with a made in mexico resistor which lasted a month. I switched to the msd resistor and was getting a year as they got eally hot. So I spaced it away from the firewall. It hasnt popped since.

FBO kits now come with the msd resistor.

my vote FBO
http://www.4secondsflat.com/
over the long term, these folks have done good stuff
with near OEM style stuff at a fair price schedule.
KISS, keep it simple stupid, no offense , just a saying....
your key for me was "the step up part" and "street use"
a little hotter system with reliability and easy owner maintenance
and they can set it up for your driving style eliminating the time you
would have spend doing the weight springs in the new distributor, unless you like to fiddle like that....

If you want to do it ONCE....get the FBO kit from Dave in Calgary. Send him your dist and he will set it up on a machine...no trial and error. Send him you wires and he'll check them too. Very reasonable, and good turnaround time.

The original MP kit I bought from the dealer came with a cheap resister, orange box, and Accell dist. The dist was really out of wack.

Happy with system now 3 years later.

Jim

You can use the MSD boxes and still use the points dist to fire the box. MSD claims the points will last a very long time since there's little current flowing though them and the dwell doesn't matter, the MSD box fires the plugs. The points just need to open and close.

I got a nice use Accel dual point dist off E-bay for $17. I took the one set of points off and its working just great. The cap is wider than my Mopar dist and has ribs inside to stop crossfire.

Well my Accel advance comes in by 2000 rpms and with my 3.91 gears is most the time at full advance while running but backs right down for easy starting. I get no pinging even up hills-it does have no vacuum advance.

-
Back