Electronic ignition VS Points

-

mojo6964

Reaction score
My son has a 72' Duster with Slant 6 and points dist, what year did they introduce electronic ignition to Duster and can we just change distributors to convert it?

73 I think and I changed mine out in about an hour last year and it starts and runs so much better :-D
You can go to a salvage yard and get a used distributor and wire harness and electronic controller if you like, I bought this new kit and was very easy and has been very good to me, But you can go a couple way's :read2:
Wait and let a tec jump in here and help you out farther 8)
As you can see I am a shade tree man :-D

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20069.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20066%20%28Custom%29.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20068%20%28Custom%29%20%282%29.jpg

yes 73 was the first year i believe. if you get a used dist. make sure you replace the plastic drive gear on it. can probably get a rebuilt dist from a parts store pretty cheap.

real easy hook up. blue wire with yellow tracer goes to the ballast key power side. and the black with yellow tracer goes to the -coil. the rest is common sense..

See also here. The Mopar orange box is a poor-quality item; if you go with the Mopar style ECU use a Standard # LX100 or LX101 depending on if you put in a 4-pin (single-ballast) or 5-pin (dual-ballast) setup. New distributors are readily available; the link in this post contains info. The MP kit (no longer available but some are still floating around) included not only an orange box you don't want, but also a distributor with an unstreetable advance "curve" (actually a straight line: just one ultralightweight spring, so all the mechanical advance gets dumped in immediately off idle).

-
Back