Electronic rust control module. Science or Scam?

-

Captain Canuck

Reaction score
My wife and I recently purchased our first brand new car. At the dealership, they asked us if we wanted an electronic rust control module installed on our new car for the hefty price of $450. We said "no thanks", but I have been thinking lately.... Do these things really work?

What do you all think.... Are these things a gimmick, or do they really offer serious rust protection for your car?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 389
well without knowing how it works i would have to assume it "charges" the vehicle. Im not so sure charging a vehicle that is covered in salt is such a hot idea, seems like it would do the opposite

Pass,Andy(period). A sales hoax,my opinion. Depends on what vehicle bought..... Good to see you..metallic chimes..,lol.).

Gimmick. If it worked, it would be on every vehicle made.

I don't know about your product, but I do know that sacrificial anodes have been used for nearly 200yrs on ships for rust prevention.

Depending on how it is set up, it should work. In some of the snow belt states the send a low voltage (unsure of frequency) thru the rebar on bridges. It inhibits rust. To what degree, I do not know. I bet if you google it you should find something.

Sounds like something I could make for $30 maximum. If I do some research. But I live in Scottsdale AZ, no rust here

Called cathodic Protection.We used it on all our old steel gas lines that had not yet been replaced by plastic.As for that particular devise I have no idea.

Holy Cow, those things are still around? I wonder if they are improved over the original antiques, or they just raised price?

I installed one of those electronic rust prevention devices on my car.

My car is only a fair weather car but I still thought it was worth it....since it was free.

Attachments

• IMG_3723.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 331
The one thing that you can do and it will not cost you a penny. If you use the car as a daily driver, do not park your car indoors. Leave it outdoors so it does not defrost. You will get ice and salt on the car and it will freeze. While it is frozen the salts do not contact the metal and does not do damage. If you park indoors, the ice will melt and the liquified salt with run all over the metal and then you will do the same every day after that. If you leave it outdoors, the salts will only affect your car one or two times in the spring

I installed one of those electronic rust prevention devices on my car.

My car is only a fair weather car but I still thought it was worth it.

You might think instead of that device, hook an electrified fence unit to the car. It will help with the rust and prevent thieves from stealing your car

When they install the electronic rust preventer, have them change the muffler bearings and install the halogen fluid in the headlights also...

I work for a new car dealer. Don't buy into this kind of crap. Same goes with the "premium paint sealant", you pay the dealer $400 to have a couple kids wipe on a product that you can buy yourself for $20.

A better use of your money would be to send me $300 and in return, every month I will send you an email reassuring you that everything is OK.

in all fairness the paint sealant is some pretty awesome stuff!
not $400 awesome but maybe $30 awesome.:D

I worked at a dealership 80's 90's when these came out .Trick was you had to drill holes to mount it . Cars and trucks would come back with module hanging on rusted sheet metal. They did not work The product was called Rust Evader. Bridges and ships are not made from sheet metal.

I put one on the last new truck I bought because the frame on all my others scaled of rust what ever that new chemical is they put on the PA & ohio,pike..will tear the frame on a big truck up in three years.and I don't care what you do to it!!but didn't get to keep it long enough to find out,but I do know it was 3 1/2 yrs. old and still shind like the top!!!!if that's a help....Artie

-
Back