Elgin/melling vs9010 valve spring information

-

prorac1

Reaction score
We're looking at a cam kit that includes the Elgin vs9010 valve springs. I'm hoping we can use our factory retainers and locks with these springs.

But I can find NOTHING on the internet about them.

any body use these or have any specs on them?

Thanks. Eric L

Same as Comp 901 so yes you can use your retainers. See the part number? 901(0)? Same spring.

See, I don't mess around. When I hook a brother up, I hook a brother up. lol

No doubt. I get it now. Duh.

And I'm usually BOSS at connecting part numbers from "different" manufactures. Lol.

No doubt. I get it now. Duh.

And I'm usually BOSS at connecting part numbers from "different" manufactures. Lol.

No biggie. You're just makin sure and I don't blame you.

Did the crappy later model 318 (1983) have the same spring and retainer size as the earlier 318's?

That's what's throwing me off.

Conflicting information I'm finding.

Did the crappy later model 318 (1983) have the same spring and retainer size as the earlier 318's?
That's what's throwing me off.
Conflicting information I'm finding.
Not sure where that is coming from???? The valve springs stayed the same.

Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay

When I was searching valve spring diameter on The interwebs I was coming up with conflicting answers.

Some people were saying the late 60's early 70's small blocks had a different diameter spring than the 79ish and up small blocks. 1.494 vs 1.43ish if I remember right.

They are all physically interchangeable. I think that's what he was gettin at. The heads themselves did not change where the spring seats are concerned. 1.494 VS 1.43.........050"? That's fifty thousandths of an inch. I don't think there's cause for alarm. lol

Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay

When I was searching valve spring diameter on The interwebs I was coming up with conflicting answers.

Some people were saying the late 60's early 70's small blocks had a different diameter spring than the 79ish and up small blocks. 1.494 vs 1.43ish if I remember right.
I made a too broad and unqualified statement...

It may be that they upped the 'standard' spring pressures a bit by increasing the spring wire diameter with the same ID; the OD would go up. Example: My '65 FSM shows closed/open spring pressures of around 53/143 for the lighter 273 2 BBL springs versus 83/177 for the 273 4 BBL springs, so there were 2 springs from the factory with different diameters and/or wire diameters.

And Melling shows their replacement VS150 for all years of 318's at an OD of 1.404' with similar pressure and height specs as the 4 BBL 273 springs, but with the old spec ID of right a 1.00". So they used a bit different spring wire to get the same pressure results.

-
Back