Eliminating torsion rod hood supports. Alternatives?

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
I want to eliminate the torsion rods on my 65 Dart hood. What alternatives and pictures do you guys have if any.

Yea that's the way I was leaning is towards struts but didn't know if there was something else out there that somebody found that works. 2 reasons why I don't like the torsion rods, one they are ugly and in the way and 2 my MSD pro billet dizzy doesn't fit under them.

I asked if the msd8388 would fit in 66barracuda and the reply was yes in 66dart which is the same with bars. A picture was shown. Search for msd 8388 in title and view picture. That may answer if it fits.

Yea that's the way I was leaning is towards struts but didn't know if there was something else out there that somebody found that works. 2 reasons why I don't like the torsion rods, one they are ugly and in the way and 2 my MSD pro billet dizzy doesn't fit under them.

Have an MSD distributor on mine & fits fine. Personally I wish all cars had those hood torsion bars, they work great & give superior access to the engine bay. The struts & props used on most later cars always seem to be in the way. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, I think they look fine with a good coat of paint.

use parts from a later a body hood hinge the springs on them work nicely

Careful with the pneumatic struts. The hood on my lexus actually was starting to show a buckle at the strut support bracket. You need to somehow weigh the hood at the support point (ie. Scale under a prop rod where you want it) ans use that rather large weight /2 to determine what struts to buy. Also make sure the height will be correct when installed, and the support bracket has enough bracing to not buckle the hood when you try and close it. The torsion bars look like a better option after looking up a few supports and associated hardware.

Ive been wanting to fab the set up of a late 80's park ave...the one that lifts up in front then flips forward...boy give lots more room for working on small block...the way its set up looks like a pretty easy shadetree ordeal...

We removed the torsion springs and I love it. Check out the link posted above. Let me know if you need any pics or info. Pretty straight forward.

-
Back