Emblem Glue and Old Glue Removal

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not an A body, but I know there are knowledgeable body techs on here.
2007 Accord- the "Accord" emblem has come off of the trunk a couple times. I have used 3M trim adhesive, but never did it correctly. Meaning, I've never removed the old adhesive, I just added more, and it comes off eventually.

Is the 3M trim adhesive the correct stuff to use, and, how do I remove the old adhesive from the emblem, and more importantly; how do I remove it from the trunk lid without damaging the paint?

I will remove the wax.

3m plastic and emblem adhesive will eat into the paint somewhat. That's what holds it on. So the paint is already likely damaged. Factory emblems are held on with double sided tape.

3m plastic and emblem adhesive will eat into the paint somewhat. That's what holds it on. So the paint is already likely damaged. Factory emblems are held on with double sided tape.
Okay. Well, I never put the adhesive on the paint, just on top of whatever was left on the trunk lid when the emblem came off.

Looking closer, I can see what's left of the tape, I don't see any adhesive.

So how do I get the original tape off?

I'll look into double sided tape for emblems. Something from this page? Amazon.com : double sided tape for car emblems
44H57E.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20230421002.jpg

0RYR4g.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20230421002.jpg

It's a slow process, but you will have to scrape it off with a razor utility knife or just a razor blade. You can try softening what's left on the car with a hair dryer to get it to come off better. Putting the new tape back onto the emblem isn't much easier......lol. You'll have to cut it to fit and if you're extremely lucky you won't be bleeding when you're done!

Stripe and decal eraser wheel to remove the tape residue. Be careful. If the panel has been repainted , the wheel may dig into the paint. You can use a razor blade to scrape the back of the emblem and then apply 3m (or similar ) double sided taped tape. But then the fun part... you have to trim around the letters. Or use this stuff: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40065949/ It may be better just to throw the emblem away and buy a new one , depending on price.

Okay, now that I understand that it originally was self adhesive, I just ordered a new emblem. Thank you for the help!

I agree with a single edge razor blade. Try to get both surfaces flat and free of old glue. Then use the good plastic emblem glue.

I agree with a single edge razor blade. Try to get both surfaces flat and free of old glue. Then use the good plastic emblem glue.
The new emblem comes with double sided tape on the emblem, already cut to shape.

I will get the trunk lid clean of old goop.

Just to follow up...
I tried Goo Gone to remove the adhesive; no luck. Then I tried wax and grease remover, which softened it a bit. I followed that with some careful scraping with a razor blade. Success! Thanks again, everyone.
zt8s4k.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20230428009.jpg

Buy an eraser wheel, any paint store has them, they will not damage paint.
The eraser wheel is just that a huge pencil eraser on a wheel that will attach to a drill, they cost about $15

-
Back