Emergency brake cable kit 68 Cuda

-

JTG

Reaction score
:dontknow:Hi, looking at an emergency brake cable kit for my 68 Cuda, there is two listed, one with intermediate cable and one without, did these cars come with two different setups or is the one kit to save you money in case the old intermediate cable is still good.

Just chkd my parts manual, it shows an intermediate(#2823501) left rear(#2534967 and 968 is the right)

Thanks whitepunkonnitro, sorry no disrespect to yourself or Steve in anyway, but I can't make a mistake on which kit I order as it is non-returnable, I will have more piece of mind with the majority rules. Hopefully more members will provide their input.

I believe Tony is correct. Not sure what's in a kit you are looking at, but many of the parts should be still available at regular auto parts stores and thus returnable.

I believe Tony is correct. Not sure what's in a kit you are looking at, but many of the parts should be still available at regular auto parts stores and thus returnable.

This kit is probably not available at the local parts store, its stainless steel.
The performance shop doesn't stock it, but can order it and have made it clear that I need to determine the correct one as it is none returnable. After looking at some diagrams, I absolutely believe yourself and Tony are 100% correct that it is w/o intermediate cable. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• brake cable.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 157
63-66 has an intermediate cable
67-71 No Intermediate cable
72-76 Back to the original set-up

Tony, an intermediate cable means it would have 4 cables??

Thanks whitepunkonnitro, sorry no disrespect to yourself or Steve in anyway, but I can't make a mistake on which kit I order as it is non-returnable, I will have more piece of mind with the majority rules. Hopefully more members will provide their input.

None taken, I just chkd and 69 has the same amount of cables(3), the only part# difference is the Left one for 69 is #2808596.

Same question I asked Tony.....does intermediate mean there are 4 cables??

The front cable in my parts manuals runs from the handle mechanism to the "equalizer" then the 2 rears.

Yes, intermediate would be four cables total. If you're starting from scratch and not sure which set-up you need, go to the back of the car and look at the brackets that hold the cables which run to the backing plates. One bracket on each side=Intermediate cable system. One bracket on the left side with two holes =No Intermediate cable.

Out of curiosity, why is there two different set up's ?, is one more superior to the other or something?

I've had more trouble getting parking brake cables fixed.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I order the parts for the proper year and model of car, and they don't fit right.... :finga: :finga: :finga:

Ok, back to the post, I feel much better now....

BEWARE OF PARTS STORE CABLES!!!!

I bought a set from NAPA and they were junk.

Plastic coated conduit and strand, where the original ones were just plain wire conduit and strands.

I had to strip back some of the plastic away from the button for the parking brake bracket to fit on it properly.

And even after that, they still would not fit or work correctly....

DON'T BUY PARKING BRAKE CABLES FROM NAPA.

BEWARE OF PARTS STORE CABLES!!!!

I bought a set from NAPA and they were junk.

Plastic coated conduit and strand, where the original ones were just plain wire conduit and strands.

I had to strip back some of the plastic away from the button for the parking brake bracket to fit on it properly.

And even after that, they still would not fit or work correctly....

DON'T BUY PARKING BRAKE CABLES FROM NAPA.

Krazykuda, I was looking at getting the stainless steel ones from Inline Tube. Made in the U.S.A, not China

Yes, intermediate would be four cables total. If you're starting from scratch and not sure which set-up you need, go to the back of the car and look at the brackets that hold the cables which run to the backing plates. One bracket on each side=Intermediate cable system. One bracket on the left side with two holes =No Intermediate cable.

Thanks Tony for clarifying! So 3 in total NO intermediate JTG!

I believe the one on my 68 is the same as the one in the diagram that was posted.

One cable from the lever to the bracket that connects the two cables going to each rear brake.

Okay - If you want another opinion - I have a 68 Barracuda coupe (notchback) that has 3 cables. One from the parking brake mechanism to the rear equalizer bracket, one to the left brake, one to the right brake. There is an attaching bracket on the right side cable to secure it to the body. Nuff said? Want pics?

Thanks Steve, Tony, Scott and everyone else for your help. We're all on the same page with this, 3 cable setup no intermediate it is.

-
Back