Emissions

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
So, what year did they start adding all the emissions equipment (i.e., EGR, Air Pump, etc.) to our MOPARS? Did they start with only certain states like CA or was it across the board? I always thought that it wasn't in full swing until 1975 but I'm starting to think that it was in 1973 or 1974.

CA has had there own rules for a while now. Had a 75 Duster that had all the smog crap on it. Thought they cats started earlier than that...

CA has had there own rules for a while now. Had a 75 Duster that had all the smog crap on it. Thought they cats started earlier than that...

Ink's dead on. What's the supposed combination?.

All Federal cars had PCV valves something? like 63?

In 66 CA required emissions on engines.

In 1968 ALL cars federally had emissions controls. Stuff like GM had "smog pumps" Chrysler got by for years by leaning out the carb and retarding ignition. For this reason lots of guys try to tell you "my car didn't have" emissions equipment. Well it DID, you just could not SEE it, LOL

In 72? EGR got added and for the first couple of years Ma used no EGR valve. Ma just drilled orifices down in the bottom of the intake manifold, causing a "controlled leak" between exhaust crossover and intake. So you could not "see" the EGR for a couple of years.

Emissions was constantly getting tightened up over the years, and every few years, CA and "the feds" added more and more requirements.

Starting in '70 CA required evap systems for fuel systems, AKA "the carbon can" This was required federally 71/ later.

I got a 74 Duster that does not have any emissions equipment and was wondering if they started putting everything on at the factory at a certain point in time or if it started being put on cars going to certain states earlier?

I got a 74 Duster that does not have any emissions equipment and was wondering if they started putting everything on at the factory at a certain point in time or if it started being put on cars going to certain states earlier?

Sorry, but no you do not. Unless someone took it all off WHAT your car had

Fuel tank evaporative controls, IE "carbon can" system and a "pressure vacuum" fuel filler cap

EGR. Great big huge valve on the intake manifold

"Smog" distributor advance curve. You can't SEE it but it's there, and you can DETECT it with a timing light

"Lean" carburetor. Originally this had plastic caps installed over the idle screw adjuster(s) to keep you from messin' with it.

Other "little things" like a 190--195 degree thermostat

It's all in the shop manual

If your state does not have any state periodic inspections, I would not worry about it.

Is there anybody out there from Central PA that might be able to shed some light on this matter. From my understanding my 1974 Duster, with regular registration, will not require the test or checks but any 1975 and newer cars do get checked.

Sorry, but no you do not. Unless someone took it all off WHAT your car had

Fuel tank evaporative controls, IE "carbon can" system and a "pressure vacuum" fuel filler cap

If your state does not have any state periodic inspections, I would not worry about it.

I saw the manual and thats what made start to wonder. About the only thing left is the "carbon can" that only has the line from the fuel tank and nothing going out. I'm in PA and I believe the 1974 an older cars are exempt from the emission checks and just trying to find out if this is the case from other folks from PA that may have delt with it.

-
Back