Enclosed car hauler...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
What length will I need for our 69 Dart? Will not be carrying a pit bike, other than perhaps a one of the pedal powered type. Minimum of tools. Will be towing it with our Duramax pickup,so can use the bed to carry as well. Trying to not spend to much, am collecting disability. Live on a silt road so an enclosed hauler is going to be a necessary evil

24ft.... easy to find used, much easier to resell than just about anything shorter. You'll soon find the extra space up front can come in oh so handy, whether it's to carry more stuff, or room to lounge in front of the car in the case of rain.

24ft.... easy to find used, much easier to resell than just about anything shorter. You'll soon find the extra space up front can come in oh so handy, whether it's to carry more stuff, or room to lounge in front of the car in the case of rain.
Perhaps easy to find used in your area...not so much here in Eastern Washington. Haven't been to serious in hunting yet but the only one I have found local was 10 years old with several mods that I don't need...and he was asking 10k for it..
Just out of curiosity I searched around the Phoenix area. Found a few that are more like what I am looking for...normally I would ask my buddy to go look at it for me and if worth it pick it up for me but he is at his place up north...

Mine is 24' with v nose. The car fits easily with bonnets to e-track. Believe me the extra room makes it easier to load/unload. You need some space to work in and strap it down. Room for a cargo box to store the straps and such. If you are doing shows then you need room for chairs and an pop up awning. This will allow you to center over the axles for a great tow! JMO.

New Under 5k with 5200lb axles. And yes your Duramax will pull it about 1/2 what my RAM will! Kidding!

You could fit an 18' but damn it would be hard strap it down. I rented a 20' to haul the body for resto back and forth and it was just enough to have room to bend down and strap. Don't know how young and limber you may be so think ahead if you are going to make a purchase for years!

Last edited:
You can get a 24' 1k cheaper with 3800 lb axles but once you buy one I think you will want to more with it, so consider that in a long term purchase!

Doug I just think you are looking for an excuse to buy an enclosed. Glad you can afford one, hell I don't even have the room here, much less the money LOL

Mine is 24' with v nose. The car fits easily with bonnets to e-track. Believe me the extra room makes it easier to load/unload. You need some space to work in and strap it down. Room for a cargo box to store the straps and such. If you are doing shows then you need room for chairs and an pop up awning. This will allow you to center over the axles for a great tow! JMO.

New Under 5k with 5200lb axles. And yes your Duramax will pull it about 1/2 what my RAM will! Kidding!

You could fit an 18' but damn it would be hard strap it down. I rented a 20' to haul the body for resto back and forth and it was just enough to have room to bend down and strap. Don't know how old and decrepit you may be so think ahead if you are going to make a purchase for years!
Fixed it for you Sir...far from limber...back is wasted...
Doug I just think you are looking for an excuse to buy an enclosed. Glad you can afford one, hell I don't even have the room here, much less the money LOL
Now hold on a second Sir...I never said anything about being able to afford one...lol..
The dirt road is a serious problem...in more than one way. The mess is one thing. Past several years I spent some time in the winter trimming the trees on the road sides. With how bad my back has gotten this past winter may have been my last in regards to trimming. Will only be a matter of time until the trees are "pinstriping" my paint. Much rather destroy the finish on the trailer than the car.
Heard rumors the other day that our road association may be broke thanks to the fellow that runs it skimming from it. One of our ways out has yet to be graded this year, so it is VERY rough. The other road a resident graded from his place out to the highway. I have about .75 of a mile to get to where the road is reasonably smooth. So there is an issue of getting out. The other side to this is where the road is graded folks tend to go 30-35 mph...the ensuing dust storm is just saddening...

I've got a 20 ft. Fine for hauling car around. You can get by. But now into racing I would do nothing less than 24. And people who have those say 28-32ft. Lol

But. At least 24.

Might be worth the ride or get someone to haul it to you! I would get the 5200 lb axles though. You will want to use it for more than hauling to the track, trust me! 5k or 4K the extra k is worth it! Add about $500 to put E-track and paint/carpet with caulking and a faeux aluminum diamond plate tread vinyl floor cover in, you have a nice trailer good for many years of service.

I bought a new 24' from Wagon Masters in Al. and picked it up at the factory in Douglas Ga. Ungraded to 5200 lb axles, Mag wheels with better radial tires, V nose,6" more height,2 ft stone guard on the front of the trailer, grey in color to match my truck. $5100.00 A year ago.
To me 24' is the perfect length to pull up and down the road and still have room to haul extra stuff. I've had longer and shorter. Plus Pleeeenty of room to haul SMOKED cheese!

I bought a new 24' from Wagon Masters in Al. and picked it up at the factory in Douglas Ga. Ungraded to 5200 lb axles, Mag wheels with better radial tires, V nose,6" more height,2 ft stone guard on the front of the trailer, grey in color to match my truck. $5100.00 A year ago.
To me 24' is the perfect length to pull up and down the road and still have room to haul extra stuff. I've had longer and shorter. Plus Pleeeenty of room to haul SMOKED cheese!

Sounds just like the one I bought 3 years ago out of Douglas, Ga. for $4980. Love it after some personal touches!

I agree on the axle upgrade,3500 lb axles just aren't enough. That only gives you a towing capacity of 7k Including the weight of the trailer! I have traveled to other states with friends pulling cars with 3500 lb axles and it seems like they always carried 2-3 spare tires. And some times needed them all! If I were to upgrade only one thing on a basic trailer, it would be the axles.

I think I picked it up it Willacoochee Ga.right next to Douglas. From Fredom trailer

Mine was delivered and picked up about 10 miles from me at Country Boys Trailers in Cumming, Ga.

Whatever you get I would strongly recommend you invest in a set of Carlisle trailer tires. I had numerous blowouts on my 28' enclosed with several different brands until I switched to Carlisles. No problems on these tires in the last 2 years hauling 2 to 3 times a month to racetracks.

Whatever you get I would strongly recommend you invest in a set of Carlisle trailer tires. I had numerous blowouts on my 28' enclosed with several different brands until I switched to Carlisles. No problems on these tires in the last 2 years hauling 2 to 3 times a month to racetracks.
I have those on my car trailer. Have had 2 blowouts. Had 4 tons of pellets on the trailer. Thanks to not paying attention I had to go around the back of a strip mall...and had to climb a curb at 30* angle. Both tires on that side blew out, one the next time it had weight the other when I was empty going about 60. Got them from Discount...with the certificates...

I have those on my car trailer. Have had 2 blowouts. Had 4 tons of pellets on the trailer. Thanks to not paying attention I had to go around the back of a strip mall...and had to climb a curb at 30* angle. Both tires on that side blew out, one the next time it had weight the other when I was empty going about 60. Got them from Discount...with the certificates...
Did they replace them for free? 8000 lbs of pellets eh? do you have 3 axles or 2?

I've never heard of ANYONE recommending Carlisle trailer tires. My current 28' has 16" wheels so my trailer tire selection has been much better than my previous 24 that had 15" tires. No matter what I used on that one (good year, Carlisle, Maxis, Hi Run.... 8 plys, 10plys) I simply had to replace them every two years no matter what they looked like. Life in the desert..... if it aint tires, it's batteries :)

I've never heard of ANYONE recommending Carlisle trailer tires. My current 28' has 16" wheels so my trailer tire selection has been much better than my previous 24 that had 15" tires. No matter what I used on that one (good year, Carlisle, Maxis, Hi Run.... 8 plys, 10plys) I simply had to replace them every two years no matter what they looked like. Life in the desert..... if it aint tires, it's batteries :)
Spent 15 LONG years in Mesa AZ....don't miss it...amazed at how few shredded tires I see road side here in Eastern Washington compared to the desert...lol....

I agree, in the desert is a whole different situation.

-
Back