end of kid's sledding

-
I remember a news story MANY years ago. A teen was sledding down a hill and hit BC Hydro Utility box. Paralyzed when his neck broke. Parents sued BC Hydro stating they should have known better than to put one at the bottom of the only sledding hill in their neighborhood. Can't remember if she won.

Same city, same year. Kid sledding down a hill is killed when his neck catches a chain fence like the one picture below:
4cbb5f2d1df16_Marsden%20Rec%20Post%20&%20Chain%20FenceLG.jpg

Parents sued the city for also putting something so dangerous at the bottom of the only sledding hill in their neighborhood. They actually won this one.

Nobody wins. There's a myth out there that you'll get sued if someone gets hurt. Possibly. But in order to win it has to be shown that you were negligent. So the difference between getting sued and losing a suit are two different things. The sooner Judges start tossing Lawyers in the can for frivolous suits the better off America will be. But for now, everyone is playing along with it because the insurance companies profit the most when you sit there like a good little kid and play your video games. They don't have to shell out money for a broken arm. Of course they have no problem shelling out the cash for the health problems created by the most obese society we can possibly muster up.

Nobody wins. There's a myth out there that you'll get sued if someone gets hurt. Possibly. But in order to win it has to be shown that you were negligent. So the difference between getting sued and losing a suit are two different things. The sooner Judges start tossing Lawyers in the can for frivolous suits the better off America will be. But for now, everyone is playing along with it because the insurance companies profit the most when you sit there like a good little kid and play your video games. They don't have to shell out money for a broken arm. Of course they have no problem shelling out the cash for the health problems created by the most obese society we can possibly muster up.

Well, evidently we do agree on some things.

What a crock, I grew up sledding.
Would go out with two pairs of socks, two pairs of pants and would inevitably come home soaked and frozen and sometimes banged up.
Ran my hands under the warm water till the feeling came back and did it all over again the next day. Kids are Pussies today and their parents are ****.
What the hell happened to this world?

What a crock, I grew up sledding.
Would go out with two pairs of socks, two pairs of pants and would inevitably come home soaked and frozen and sometimes banged up.
Ran my hands under the warm water till the feeling came back and did it all over again the next day. Kids are Pussies today and their parents are ****.
What the hell happened to this world?

Tell us how you really feel...

I agree...

People need to grow a pair....

I grew up in Wisconsin, a little town called Muskego, lived on Big Muskego lake. People had streams from the lake to their homes and there would be ice heaves where they meant sometimes three or four feet high, we would come flying down them on our ice skates hit that heave and get twenty or so feet of air, also had a hill called suicide hill for sledding, The point of all this is I can tell you where every scar and broken bone came from, we would compare scars, mines bigger than yours is!! It was all part of growing up, My dad would smack me upside the head and call me a dumb *** while smiling of course. Those days are long gone, There are a lot of money grubbing dead beats around. What a shame.

Jeff

I don't live too far from you KK. I remember hearing about that. Messed up for sure. They, politicians, will piss and moan about how it's unhealthy for kids to sit around watching TV and on the 'net, but will close down outdoor venues like sledding hills because of the damn liability issue. Whacked for sure.

If we let every kid stay inside and play games all day, they'll have enough padding to stop breaking necks on sledding hills. Seems like this one will will fix itself.

post-6670-Homer-Simpson-Gifs-kvjg.gif

While we're at it, lets ban playgrounds, baseball diamonds, greenbelts for bicyclists, bicycles, skateboard parks, skateboards, national parks for hikers, swimming pools, football fields in schools, high heels and ice.

Better yet, why not just ban SNOW? It seems to me that the real problem here is not the sled, the person or the hill, so much as the snow.

I think banning snow would also help our cause, here at FABO.

Please, help me ban snow and call your senator.

Nobody wins. There's a myth out there that you'll get sued if someone gets hurt. Possibly. But in order to win it has to be shown that you were negligent. .

How was McDonalds negligent when the lady spilt her coffee, a substance that is served HOT. How was Winnebago negligent when a man set his new motorhome on Cruise Control, and left his seat to go in the back and make coffee? (True Story) I'm not sure the proof has to be there anymore. The only thing that can be proven is that the people filing these suits are stupid. And sad part is, in both cases they won huge amounts.

Better yet, why not just ban SNOW? It seems to me that the real problem here is not the sled, the person or the hill, so much as the snow.

I think banning snow would also help our cause, here at FABO.

Please, help me ban snow and call your senator.

Well for sure we need to ban snow cause it's White and that's racist.

How was McDonalds negligent when the lady spilt her coffee, a substance that is served HOT. How was Winnebago negligent when a man set his new motorhome on Cruise Control, and left his seat to go in the back and make coffee? (True Story) I'm not sure the proof has to be there anymore. The only thing that can be proven is that the people filing these suits are stupid. And sad part is, in both cases they won huge amounts.

What is the entire story? That's only part of it.

I do agree that people are far too litigious regarding injuries of their own making.

While we're at it, lets ban playgrounds, baseball diamonds, greenbelts for bicyclists, bicycles, skateboard parks, skateboards, national parks for hikers, swimming pools, football fields in schools, high heels and ice.

Hold on there!! Ban high heels??? Playgrounds sure, but high heels? Crazy talk!

What is the entire story? That's only part of it.

I do agree that people are far too litigious regarding injuries of their own making.

The story with the winnebago deal was they claimed the salesman told them the cruise control was basically auto pilot. The driver got up from the wheel and the rv ran off the road.

Hold on there!! Ban high heels??? Playgrounds sure, but high heels? Crazy talk!

Maybe they should lol, When i worked at Toyota body shop I had a Prius as a job, The woman was claiming the accelerator pedal deal was what caused her to run in the back of someone.. My boss warned me there might be an issue so I took it easy getting it in. When I got it on the frame rack I noticed a broken 4" heel laying under the gas pedal. They told me not to touch the car and next thing I know there was a crew from ins co looking at the car along with some "officials" from toyota . The ins co was trying to blow it back on toyota. Didn't happen. People don't want to accept responsibility for their actions these days.

I bolded the Mcdonalds case. It's a popular case to whip up as an example, even though it may be a bit ill founded.

The cruise control story has been around for years. I remember hearing a similar story on the radio back in the early 80's. Some guy won a conversion van, put it in "cruise", then went in back to get a drink out of the firdge and crashed..... :banghead:

Yep, I know about that one. The RV owners are dumb as a box of rocks and should NEVER be able to drive again. JMO.

I bolded the Mcdonalds case. It's a popular case to whip up as an example, even though it may be a bit ill founded.

With the McDonalds deal. I really have to think about how many times they've handed me one with the lid half-arsed on it, and they really used to be so hot you couldn't hardly handle the cup.

The Grazinski motorhome deal is a tale.

May it have happened, possible, but, not the one that gets lots of run.

-
Back