Engaging the Think Tank-"cloth" headliner into a '72 Duster.

-

WymanV

..you said "member"...
Reaction score
Hey all,

The perpetual 340 Duster project has yet another layer of TX9 on it and reassembly begins. I'm opting for the older style cloth headliner/bows over the single piece cardboard one because quite frankly I never cared for the cardboard one. Plus, shipping was a lot cheaper for the cloth :D

I have the headliner. The bows I picked up (from someone here I believe) are the ones that go into holes in the roof support and not the ones that fit into pockets. The roof support has square recesses in them for the bows and earlier years have either cut-outs in them for the pocket clips or a set of 3 holes drilled into them for the bows I'm using. Since they saw fit to do away with the cloth headliner in 1972 my car has neither.

IMG_20230729_200747115_HDR.jpg

Interestingly enough, my car does have the three holes in the back on both sides for the last 'long' bow that is closest to the rear window.

My big fat question goes like this: Do I really have to find out where those original 3 holes go in the recessed square 'pocket' in the roof frame and replicate those all the way down both sides? It seems I should be able to find where the bow fits in each position where it's not hitting the roof and just drill a hole that keeps them at a relatively straight height down the length of the roof. I do have the factory holes for the last one and that seems like a solid anchor point to do a "best guess" where the rest will go.

Thoughts?

Ken

Last edited:
I`d personally would want to know exactly where the factory put the holes.
Any local junk yards have one you could measure? or maybe someone here has head liner out of theirs to measure for you. Maybe your plan would work fine. Let us know how it works out. good luck.

There are two wire clips that locate the rear bow for the position of the bow after the sides are clipped in. After they are installed in the hols in front of the rear glass you stretch the liner front pulling on the rear bow for the anchor using the wires holding the rear bow from coming forward. After stretching it front to the center of the windshield , Pull the sides out and then stretch the liner from the rear bow back toward the rear window . Then fasten the liner to the sail panels. . These wire clips are the key to installing the liner and stretching it in place.

Good luck. Steve I have the clips for measurements and pictures.

The only one I have seen in quite a few years that would be considered junk was one I found near Portland on Craigslist a month ago that I robbed the LCAs off of. And it too was a TX9 '72 Duster 340 so no help there with measurements. And since pickups and Subarus rule the roads around here it's pretty unlikely I'll ever see a '70-'71 Duster in these here parts, much less one with the headliner out.

OM, I've been doing the research and I've seen the clips. I haven't done an earnest search for them because before now the car wasn't ready for a headliner. The only ones I have seen available are used ones for '67-'69 Barracuda and they look quite long and are actual springs. I've seen photos of the Duster ones (probably here) and they are indeed different. However, given a measurement I could probably make a pair out of some hardened wire I have or even pick up a pair of suitable springs at one of my local hardware store.

Ken

I may have extras . I will have to look. I know I have some for a swinger that are longer that can be cut down. Springs will not work they have to hold the bow firm, The short ones below are Duster , Demon you will need . The long pair are swinger. I have a Duster here that may have a set if they were not robbed from the car. These are old pictures so I may have collected more I am not sure. I can try and bend a set up for you out of the long pairs if needed copying the short pairs. I have some bare bodies here I can take pictures of them installed also. Let me know

100_0098.JPG

100_0100 (2).JPG

I may have extras . I will have to look. I know I have some for a swinger that are longer that can be cut down. Springs will not work they have to hold the bow firm, The short ones below are Duster , Demon you will need . The long pair are swinger. I have a Duster here that may have a set if they were not robbed from the car. These are old pictures so I may have collected more I am not sure. I can try and bend a set up for you out of the long pairs if needed copying the short pairs. I have some bare bodies here I can take pictures of them installed also. Let me know

View attachment 1716121066

View attachment 1716121067
Thanks @Oldmanmopar I'll be following this thread as I will eventually have to do the same in my '71 The time that you take to help our members with your experience is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Just an aside............I see that you have reflective roof insulation. I read, a few years back, where a member mentioned that you could see the "sparkles" through his new perforated liner. Just thought I'd mention it.

My 72 Dart was a late year production vehicle and the factory had already switched over to the cardboard when mine was produced. I too decided to put a cloth headliner in. Mine has holes for the front 3 bows but not the rear 2 bows. I have the same flat stamped, blank areas as your photos in those back two positions. I’m going to have to find one in a junkyard and take some measurements to locate those rear bows. Maybe a member here will be able to offer you measurements from their Duster or Demon

Just an aside............I see that you have reflective roof insulation. I read, a few years back, where a member mentioned that you could see the "sparkles" through his new perforated liner. Just thought I'd mention it.
That may help my wife like my old car just a little. :thumbsup:

I read that here while doing my research. I'm torn between the idea of either leaving it because I find it amusing, or just hit it with a dusting of flat black spray paint. I'm still weeks away from installing the headliner so no rush to decide.

I can get some pretty stiff springs but springs that short usually aren't stiff, and they also tend to be a larger diameter-probably big enough to show as bulges in the fabric which won't do. I do have hardened steel wire that I can make them from if I knew how long they have to be.

And an aside-in doing my research I learned based on photos you posted in a discussion you participated in here that I need to chat with you soon regarding fuel system parts that I'm lacking. I'll definitely PM you about it when it's time :thumbsup:

-
Back