Engine Additives...Stop smoke/oil burn

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
My slant 6 Valiant really smokes when you first fire it up. Black spot on the driveway everytime. I havent had it that long to know how much oil it burns but has anyone had any luck with the additives you put in your oil? thanks.

there no real cure in a bottle...

do it proper and get the valve seals look at at least

and find the external leak

Smoke on startup usually means valve guides are shot and the seals are really shot. As for the spot on the driveway, unless it is coming out of the tailpipe, fix the leak.

Anything which thickens up the oil so much it quits leaking will also prevent it from flowing, especially on a cold start.

I think he means a carbon stain from his exhaust pipe. If that is the case and it is
indeed black , I would suspect that you are running rich . (is it black or blue smoke??)

As for additives I can tell you that when I sold BMW's their engineers sent out a memo
on the use of them . It said "save your money , we have found no positive effects
from any of these so-called miracle additives. ie, slick 50 , energy release etc. "
It also outlined how teflon works and pointed out the melting temp of it ( hotter than
your engine will ever get) and how things like forks much less fast moving piston rings
tend to damage teflon
They did however state that there are benefits from good synthetics . Mobile One,
Redline, etc

Blue smoke on start-up = valve seals.Black carbon stain = choke on too much or just plain rich running. I've never had any luck with those additives,either.

It might be the carb draining down the throat overnight also. Or if the driveway is slanted and the floats are set high. The blue smoke part at startup means it still has oil and helps to keep mosquitos away. Either guides, or no seals left. Check the pan for the seal remnants.

BTW, Energy Release and Slick 50 are NOT the same. Slick 50 is a Teflon based lubricant, ER is Zinc based and chemically hardens the surface of ferrous metal.

-
Back