Engine back fire

-

witteman

Test & Tuner
Reaction score
My 340 started to back fire while cruising not while stepping on it or when it comes back down to idle. I will start working on it this weekend and was looking for some advice as to where start looking first. THe motor has a MSD ignition.

First thing i would do is remove the valve covers and see if all the valves are going up and down...plus you have not put a pushrod thru a stock rocker...

I'm no ignition expert by any means...:D. But from what I have seen, i'd start with checking all your connections to make sure the're tight and clean, and also make sure your ign. box ground is good and clean. Also, check the cap & rotor for any funky looking deposits or burn marks. Just someplace to start in my opinion.

My 340 started to back fire while cruising not while stepping on it or when it comes back down to idle. I will start working on it this weekend and was looking for some advice as to where start looking first. THe motor has a MSD ignition.

First thing i would do is remove the valve covers and see if all the valves are going up and down...plus you have not put a pushrod thru a stock rocker...

I would have to say I do not think it is a pushrod thru the rocker arm as it is not backfiring at idle or when stepping on it. Though I don't have any suggestions.

Thanks guys, I just started it in the dark and did not see any sparks and all the connections appear to be tight but I am noticing a slight knock on one side in he valve cover that was not noticed before.

-
Back