Engine back in car!

-

Fishracer66

Lap, not 1/4 mile times!
Reaction score
Pretty much finished getting the engine back in the old '66 fish vintage road racer on Friday, after the ordeal of replacing the leaky rear main seal. Also found a small crack in the oil pan, which is now tig welded back together again.

What a bear, but hopefully worth it in the end. If the seal still leaks after all this work I am going to stick a diaper under it and call it a day! :banghead:

Attachments

• Barracuda Engine 7_17_15.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 381
I think we are going to have to demand some videos!!!! LOL

You know it's going to happen them old things be needing a diaper, depends for your Dart .
Looks great ! Good luck , some video of it running would be nice .

Pretty much finished getting the engine back in the old '66 fish vintage road racer on Friday, after the ordeal of replacing the leaky rear main seal. Also found a small crack in the oil pan, which is now tig welded back together again.

What a bear, but hopefully worth it in the end. If the seal still leaks after all this work I am going to stick a diaper under it and call it a day! :banghead:

I've replaced mine twice and it still leaks. Hope you have better luck than I did. Within a week it was dripping. If you have success let us know what seal you used.

I've replaced mine twice and it still leaks. Hope you have better luck than I did. Within a week it was dripping. If you have success let us know what seal you used.

The main seal leaked on the 390 in my '75 F250, I replaced it with a rope seal. Then when the oil would heat up and thin out, it appeared to leak again. Turned out it was the cam plug above the rear main, it was in but crooked.

Hey, what does that tube that travel across the valve covers do? Equalize the pressure on both sides of the block?

"Hey, what does that tube that travel across the valve covers do? Equalize the pressure on both sides of the block? "

The tube that connects both valve covers together is a breather system, and it ventilates the block.

I put together a video on the engine in the car about a year or so ago after recovery from the "Big Fire of 2012"

Here is the link to the video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwZ10cEZ1aA"]Team Starfish Vintage Racing Barracuda Engine Tour - YouTube[/ame]

Hope to get it running again by the end of this week. Still have to install the right lower header, put oil in the tranny, water in the radiator, install the exhaust and right torsion bar.

BTW, the seal I used was sold by Dvorak down in FL. It was $39, and was more expensive than the standard FelPro part. The 4 piece "kit" might be an issue, but I did use a tiny dab of copper RTV at the ends of the seal top and bottom halves, and between the seal and the two side pieces.

BTW, the Dvorak seals are discontinued. He is selling off what he has in stock (small block only at the present time), then he is out of the seal business. Whomever he buys them from is no longer supplying them and he was unable to buy the molds.

How much time do you have on the motor? I got a week out of the second rear seal. Dvorak is only a few miles away from me. I might have to pick one up. Got my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted as time goes on.

So far, only a few miles driving around the neighborhood scaring the neighbors. This is a race car so it doesn't see much street action, except to drive to very close by car shows. It gets miserable mileage, (5 mpg on the race track), and uses $9.50 a gallon 110 leaded fuel.......

This car is lucky to get a hundred miles on it a year since I have pretty much retired and don't race it as much. If the seal doesn't leak for the next 5 years that is fine by me!

Since new it has just passed 100K miles. I bought this original 66 Formula S in 1992 with 95,000 miles on it. The last last 5,000 miles have all been on the race track. That is a tough life! This is the 3rd engine since I've owned it.

Attachments

• P1010426.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 101
-
Back